1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp/Cab choice question! Ideas sought!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GSNOLA, Oct 22, 2010.

1. GSNOLA

GSNOLA Opinionated but approachable 4-string Scotsman. Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    Hello chaps,

Right, here's the deal. I am playing both smaller and potentially bigger gigs soon, and I am debating my rig. I may be making a mountain out of nothing, but I thought I would ask your opinion.

I currently use:

a GK 400 RB head and an RBX210 cab for small gigs, and...
    a GK 1001RB and a NEO 212 for bigger stuff - with the added incentive of being able to double cab the 1001...

Here's the deal...I dig the 400 tone, but I just cannot seem to grow to love my 1001 - although there is no doubt that it is a great head.

If I were to totally start again...what would you suggest?

2. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Oh boy, what an open question! It's an invitation for everybody to tell you what _they_ love -- without regard to your musical style, type of bass, instrument lineup in your band, etc.

Why don't you give more details of all that -- what you like, what you play, describe your ideal bass tone, etc.?

3. Do you like the 1001 through the RBX?

4. GSNOLA

Aug 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    I play the gamut - alt rock, to jazz, and funk. I play vintage and Custom Shop Fender only, from a 66 P-bass through to an active CS 5er. I don't like piano tone any more, I like warmth, and I like something with guts, and bass response. I have owned well....almost everything at one time or another, but I had a few years off, so there are a load of manufacturers out there, with kit I have no experience of.
    The other thing is portability - so, as much as I dig an SVT, I ain't carting one around. If you get me. :)

5. Upgrade to an 800RB & grab a 410?

6. GSNOLA

Aug 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    The RBX and NEO are much different cabs - I couldn't play the 1001 via the RBX alone (as it would curl up and die) but it sounds cool with the NEO. Just not......I dunno. Like there is something missing. You know?

The 800RB is a fine amp, but falls between what I need - too big for small and undercooked for bigger gigs (I mean BIG shows - sort of festival type stuff).

7. The festival type shows will have a PA so you don't really need huge amounts of power.

You could just get an 8Ohm 2x10 and a 4 Ohm 6x10 or something... That way for smaller shows you'd only be pushing 150W into a 210 and for bigger shows 300W into a 610.

If you're looking for something with more watts, I'm a big fan of the Genz GBEs. I play an SVT and love it, but it's also just 300W.

8. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Have you tried the 400rb pre into the 1001 power section?

9. GSNOLA

Aug 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    I hear what you are saying, but that's too much gear to be lugging, if you get me! If I was going to do that, I think I may pre-amp/power-amp with a complete new set-up. Good idea, though.
    I have thought about something like a GB Shuttle 9.0 with a big enough cab (6x10, 4x12) and then nabbing a little combo. I dunno. I like the flexibility of having 2.5 rigs (with the cab versatility going on).
    I keep wondering if a tube preamp head would shut me up...hmmm.

10. GSNOLA

Aug 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    BTW, guys?? TOTALLY appreciate your help....I am kinda struggling with all of this! Sounds dumb, but the choice is somewhat bewildering..... :)

11. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I hear you. These days there are just so many ways of getting the same job done.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the right path by you, but: I'm currently fascinated by the new GK ultralite combos -- the MB210 and MB212. They are feather light, quite inexpensive, and really pack a punch. I tried the 210 and find it sounds terrific, and has great flexibility.

If I was starting from scratch, I think I would seriously consider getting: one MB210 for any gig or practice up to solid medium volume; one MB212 for louder bands; and run both at once for rocking really huge ballrooms or outdoors.
    The latter would entail an easy 2 piece loadin of about 70 lbs total, and save you from carrying a seperate head or rack. If you want some tubetone you could stick a Sansamp VT Bass up front.
    I personally couldn't imagine any job that I couldn't handle with that two combo setup.

A variation of that setup would be getting the MB210 and a slightly bigger cab of your choice to combine it with.

This is just one of many possible approaches to get the job done!

cheers,

pw

12. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Bump *

-- just cuz I'm curious to hear other suggestions