1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp/Cab combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Austin Smith, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Austin Smith

Austin Smith

Feb 16, 2015
    I'm extremely new to amp/cab combinations as I'm use to using combo amps for both guitar and bass. I'm purchasing a Hartke 410xl, 8 ohms 400w. I was thinking of either getting a Markbass Little Mark ii, 8 ohms 300w, or a Gallien-Krueger MB500, 8 ohms 350w. Since the cab is rated higher than the amp, am I correct in assuming there is little risk in blowing any of the speakers?

2. There is always risk...........

Keep in mind that a cabs rating is the thermal rating for the voice coil to melt, NOT real world bass frequency power handling (which is more around 1/2 the RMS rating).

Add to that the fact that an amp can put out up to 2X it's clean rated power when pushed to hard.

Just use your ears, the cab will let you know when you are driving it too hard.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  3. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    Bass pounder's post ought to be a sticky. Those Watt ratings on speaker cabs don't tell you much useful information. They are certainly no guarantee that you won't blow anything.

Raf

4. I find ratings pretty useless. Don't worry too much about the numbers. I'm sure either of those heads could easily blow that cab depending on how you set your EQ. I gig with a head rated for 450 watts and a cab rated for 800 watts (RMS), and I'm positive I could blow my cab before my head would run out of juice.

5. Another concern: agressive eqing.
    With bass guitars, most of your oomph is the low-mids, not the bass knob. If you ask for too much bass, your speakers may die trying to deliver your request. Another idea is also to have the 4x10 closer to ear level so you can hear yourself, and your speakers, better.

Edit: MoeTown beat me to my original point.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021