Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp/cab LOUDER notes question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by [SD], Oct 29, 2004.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    well, for quite a long time i've wondered why in my combos ( a 100W, 15" and a, 60W 10") the note G sounds a little louder and in my actual set up a (200W amp and a 4x10 cab) it's the C note (mostly on the 13th fret on the B string).

I wonder why is that?
    i don't know a lot about cab tunning and that stuff, i think it's related to that but since i don't know what is exactly consists of i cannot know for sure.

So, if any of you guys can clear things up for me.

And also if anyone knows a good site or post about cab tunning etc just to increase my knowledge.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Even high end hi-fi cabinets aren't immune to resonances, and musical instrument speakers are loaded with them. Your axe also will have resonant peaks and valleys in its response, and the combination of the resonances of your bass and those of the different amps/speakers explain what you're getting. It's not the same as tuning.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree with you Bill, but there's more. I found that I had lots of these resonances at one stage, then realised it was my playing technique that was creating them. So it's not any one factor that's causing your problem SD, it could be a combination of any number of these things.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's quite right; my bass is made of carved rosewood, which is far more dense than the average wood (or stone for that matter); it has so much sustain that you can put it in the case, hit a note, close it up, come back a week later and it will still be ringing. Really. On stage I can hit a B (seventh fret E string), which is its most resonant frequency, and hold it indefinetely, which really tees off guitar players who can't hold a note half as long even with their pedal toys. But this isn't necessarily a good thing all the time, so I use my left thumb to damp out the E string when I'm not actually playing on it.