1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp/Cab or Combo for around $700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kristlik, Dec 13, 2006.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm looking to upgrade my combo when my new Warwick Thumb arrives. I really want some good sound to play and practice with. But I still want to be able to run my iPod through the system for play-along; and still have the option to hook it up to a head-set when my family is sleeping :bassist:

I'm looking at a budget around $700. For what I want, would I be better off getting a smaller Amp/Cab set-up or a larger Combo (size/cost is relative to each group)?

Which ever you would choose, what would your recommend? eg I've been looking at the Fender 220/210, Ampeg BA115HPT and the GK MB150S-112 as far as combos. For around this price or just a bit more, could I get a better set-up going with Amp/Cab set-up?

2. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=BR

check out the bx600 head and all the feature pics. for the most part the bx600 is used in the BR615 combo but it doesnt show any pics of the back of the head in the combo feature pics. I'd call carvin and ask them if the BX600 head is the same as the BR615 combo head with the same features. Thats the way I would go.

I have an older PB200-15(160watts) from carvin and if the BR615 is anything like my PB, it will do you well as a home practice rig and a solid jam rig. when ya need more output from it, get a 2x10 extension cabinet and that unit will shred.

Depending on what 15" driver is in it(4ohm or 8ohm) the BR combo will run at either 225w or 400w the way it sits. I'm leaning more towards 225w. even at 225w that 15 will shred.:bassist:

3. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks Tyron,

The Carvin looks great, but we don't have a dealer here, and I really would prefer at least hearing it before I buy. But this looks like it would have been exactly what I wanted (given it has the sound I want ;) )

I am going to find a place to listen to these, and keep them in mind when I do my next "upgrade".

Since I couldn't find a headphone option on any heads around here I opted for the Ampeg BA115HP combo for now.