1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp/cab or streamlined?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by songwriter21, Apr 1, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hey All, :help::help:

(I'm not sure which page to post this, so I'm posting in "Effects", too.)

I've been back and forth on this for a few years, actually, and am really thinking of pulling the trigger on this:
    http://www.rmi.lu/products/product/basswitch-iq-di-bass-preamp#

My rig's not big by any means, with a GK1001 RB-II and a Markbass 102P. It's still a pain to have that stuff to set up, and our bandleader wants to make the stage look as clean as possible. The only reason I'm still playing through it, besides it sounding good, is that our soundman likes to not only run the DI from the amp for the main signal, but also mic the cab with a Beta52 for added warmth. Would the Basswitch be able to take care of both of these parts, or just the DI'ed sound? I've played a few gigs in the past with just an Aguilar Tone Hammer (and in-ears), and it worked pretty well. I'd LOVE to carry my entire rig, effects pedals and all, in a backpack, then just plug them in and I'm set up.

Would it be recommended to have a speaker simulator on the side with the Basswitch? I have also thought of getting a POD again, but have read too many reliability issues.

I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks...stay where I'm at, or be a plug & play kind of bassist? And to answer a somewhat obvious question, yes, I and the rest of my band use in-ears, and no wedges at all on stage.

Thanks so much for all of your input!

2. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    Just the Di'd sound, you might check the Sansamp VT Bass or VT Bass DLX it has the speaker sim built in and a killer live di that sounds better on it's own, than paired with a live mic, specifically the Beta 52.

Never heard the Basswitch but I hear it's the bomb diggity but at that price... hard to justify.