Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp/Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ77, Aug 5, 2005.

1. JPJ77

JPJ77

Aug 5, 2005
    Hello all. I have an Ampeg B2RE that is 450 watts. I am currently using a 4 X 10, 8 ohm cab. It seems during practice that I need to turn the amp volume up very high to get any volume over the guitars. Any ideas how I can get this to sound better? I am also wondering how you might use the equalizer on this amp, any particular settings that work well. Thanks

2. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    it seems you are running your amp head at only half power,assuming that it runs at max at 4ohms, to make it run the full 450watts youll need another 8ohm cab. In a lot of forums it says that you use the mid range to cut through. So boost the mids, I havnt used ampeg before so I dont know but boost the mids. Also ask your guitarists to turn down

3. Its only 250 watt at 8 ohm, try cutting the lows a bit, might give you a tad more power, boost the mids to cut through if need be

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Im an Ampeg fan, but the B2R has always seemed VERY underpowered to me.

5. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    [font=comic sans ms,verdana,arial] Yes, the boosting the mid can help you cut through.

However, the problem might not be your rig. A common problem is that the guitar players dial in way too much bass. Adding insult to injury, a lot of guitar rigs generate get a big peak in the 80-100 Hz range when they use distortion.

Remember that the lowest note on a guitar is about 80 Hz, only one octave above the lowest note on a 4-string. If the guitar players run their low end hot, they can easily be generating substantial levels all the way down to 40-50 Hz. In other words, they’re going to be trampling all over your sonic space, and it’ll make everything you’re doing sound like mud. I can tell you this first-hand in my experiences mixing bands in small venues. Anytime everything was sounding muddy, the guitar players always had really high bass levels.

Have your guitar player(s) hit an E or D chord. If you can "feel" the bass resonating, it's too much. See if you can talk them into dialing it back. Ideally, the guitars should be sounding a little thin.

Be prepared for some resistance, though. Guitar players think huge bottom end gives them a ballsy sound. But they have to be educated that in a band setting it’s not all about them. It’s about the band sounding good as a group. If they don’t want to cooperate, expect muddy bottom at your shows, and no one will be able to pick a single note you do out of the mix. In other words, you might as well stay home.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [/font]

6. JPJ77

JPJ77

Aug 5, 2005
    Thanks for the responses. I know the B2R was a bit underpowered, but the B2RE has 100 more watts. I think the issue is the 8 ohm cab..and of course the guitar players!

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    We just brought in a new guitar player for the summer, and he boosts his low end a ton. After one practice and a talk on the phone with him, he agreed to cut it back to a resonable level, as he noticed how much he drowned others out. I guess we're lucky that he has the band's overall sound in his best interest. Good luck JPJ, and God Bless. -Brad

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Everyone has good points. You can also try using a preamp that adds "presence" to your sound like a Sansamp. It's not cheap but it helped me to cut through quite a bit (using a warm Ashdown head for metal). I usually boost high mids also.

I used to use a 4x10 and found it never cut through the way I wanted. I guess all my guitarists at that time were way bottom heavy.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yes, don't boost lows so much, AND disengage the limiter.

The limiter is a nice feature, BUT it does tend to squash the sound, depending on your style.

It is usually particularly bad to use a limiter with a slap style. The limiter acts against the peaks, and squashes the average waaaaay down, usually making the amp sound really anemic.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    100 more watts is NOTHING for solidstate. :rollno:

You could have gotten a power amp for $300, and had 800Watts +.... and then used a Sansamp to drive it. Also, the bigger issue in terms of volume lies in the speaker surface of your cabs, not your power as much. For example, a 300Watt rig through a 610 cab will probably be louder than a 600Watt rig through a 210 cab.