Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp / Cab Set Ups

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Hi, does anyone have any views or opinions on amp / cab configurations. I'm in the market for a new system and I'm looking to move from the Marshall B150 combo I have, I'm thinking along the lines of an Ashdown Engineering system, of a MAG400 amp with 4x10 & 1x15 cabs I've tried some Ashdown stuff and I really like it but the metalhead on my shoulders says buy a Marshall stack ! I want power and clarity with a huge bottom end and a mid range that can really be felt ! Any thoughts ? or ideal configurations ? Cheers
    Stu

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Being English I always wanted to try Ashdown but never got around to it. Heard a bloke of iffy ability play a Stingray through the MAG stack and was impressed with the sound not the bloke. They have an octaver for that low down thing.

The main thing is listen to your heart and head but NOT the guitarist. Try loads of stuff. Try Hartke Trace and SWR as well; the former two are aquired tastes and I use a mixture to be perverse. SWR is good stuff but pricey in UK.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I can't really speak from personal experience (yet! I should be getting my new amp rig within the next 2 weeks - Hartke 3500 + Bag End S15-D), but I have seen a couple of players who used a Marshall stack (? head + 8x10). It sounded really punchy in the lows and midrange. I was very impressed, as I had heard that Marshall's bass amps and cabs weren't up to par. I thought it sat very well in a LOUD mix, even competing with heavily distorted guitars and squelchy synths.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is this evidence to contradict the view that "tone is all in your hands" ?

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bruce No-it would have sounded awesome if I had played through it [​IMG]

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But obviously the tone that impressed you, wasn't in this "bloke"'s hands - rather in the bass and amp!!

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Youve got that laser hair splitter out again.

I'm not playing anymore and its my ball :D

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Good gosh, Stu, this is any easy one for me...Ashdown, hands down! I know I'm in the US, but we have a local store, named "British Sound," where I could A/B Marshall and Ashdown.

Comparatively, the Marshall's were like, Neanderthal technology, as far as the cabs go. I can see why the metalhead says, "Go Marshall," but, to me, that's a guitar metalhead. IMO, Marshall was/is, first and foremost, a famed guitar amp manufacturer who also happened to make bass amps. The Marshall logo has the style, the Ashdown has the thunder.

You want sound that can be felt? What about that rig Entwistle poses in ads with? The ASS115 (as in "kickASS") Bass Bin + ASS112 Reflex Bass cab, PM600/1000 Magnifiers + Entwistle Signature Preamp. Every time I heard Entwistle, I had no problem "feeling" his bass.

9. Having owned two Marshall rigs in the past, and now an Ashdown ABM 500, I can say with hand on heart, go for the Ashdown.

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i've got a hartke 3500 and an swr 4x10 and it has all i ned for lows, mids and highs.

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Unless you're playing in arenas every night a good 400-500 watt amp and a 410 cabinet will take you where ever you want to go. In my case I'm an Eden guy so that would be my preference.But Ashdown, SWR, Aguilar etc would be great too.I'm not much of a Marshall fan.In that vien I think Boogie makes better bass gear.

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Funnily enough Rickbass, when I saw the Who last November, I could hardly hear the Ox at all. Considering the amount of elaborate Ashdown gear in his rig, he was barely audible. I don't know if that was just the night I saw the band, (You could tell he wasn't happy with it all the way through - he was constantly stopping to change his settings, and shouting at some poor minion offstage) or Pete Townshend making him turn down, but I did have problems feeling his bass that night.

13. If that was a real metalhead on your shoulder he'd be telling you to get an SVT.........:p

14. Thanks for all your opinions boys, I'm off to hassle all the music shops up here in Newcastle !

Stu

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Isn't that the truth!!!!!! I'd go with an SVT 3 & an SVT 410 HLF!!!!

Or you can got totally over the top (like I did) & get an SVT Classic or SVT 2 & an SVT 810!!!! Best sounding rig I have owned in the last 8 years of gigging!!!

16. Or you can got totally over the top (like I did) & get an SVT Classic or SVT 2 & an SVT 810!!!! Best sounding rig I have owned in the last 8 years of gigging!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Amen, Brother!!!

17. I've got a '76 in mint shape that I bought on eBay. It's even got the original tubes! It sat in a flight case in this guys closet for like 15 years. There aren't even any rips in the tolex. It is by far the best sounding amp (and the loudest!) I've ever plugged into. I'm using a SWR goliath 3 for a cab and it's actually quite a nice combination. It's got the exact mix of SVT grunt and SWR hifi that works for me. I'm going to get an old 810 eventually so I can have the matching setup. The SVT classic and SVT 2 are both great amps and the SVT2 can be had at some real good prices these days.....