Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp/cab suggestions for maximum growl...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Dec 7, 2004.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

I'm going to get a Warwick Streamer Stage II (5 string).
    The next step is going to be the replacement of my amp. I currently own an Ashdown MAG300 that sounds fine, but it lacks power and I want more growl. (I will keep the MAG as a backup, though)
    So I need suggestions for what will be the perfect amp/cab combination to get the most growling tone, and of course handling the full range of this bass, all the way down to the low B.
    Budget is not an issue.

Many thanks in advance !

Cheers,
    JL

2. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    Hi jean! (PM: comment ça va à narbonne?)

what about an abm (the killer abm 500 evoII ;) , I saw you owned one abm head in the past) with a 4*10, or add a 1*15 to your setup (http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_6_8). in my oppinion, to carry a low b at the right volume, you must get large speakers or wide speaker surfaces, and good powered amp.

ashdown is my personal taste, I think it's yours too, maybe ampeg?

3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The ABM was initially my first idea. But I'm afraid I'll still be a bit underpowered with the ABM500. I had one in the past, it sounded it very good, but not that loud (though run at 4 ohms).

Also I really wonder what the marriage of a Warwick SSII and an Ashdown amp will give...

Cheers,
    JL

PS. BTW, you have PM :)

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Try out the Tech21 Landmark 600 Head!! :)

It's got killer growl which you can dial in or out to taste, two independent preamps for seperate or combineable tones and loads of headroom! :bassist: :hyper:

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oo-wee! 'Maximum growl'! I'll be watching this thread.

Hey, Jean: did you chose the Warwick Streamer Stage II for growl too? Is it known to excel at this also?

Joe

6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Yes Joe,

The SSII is a very versatile, but yet very growly bass. Ya know, that subtle but punchy mix of lows and mids...

I also chose this bass due to its perfect playability (at least for my fingers). Very impressed, tone wise and neck wise too.

This bass is damn heavy, but I'll fix that with a good strap.

Cheers,
    JL

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Cetera,

I listened to the sound clips of the Landmark on the Tech 21 website, and was not that impressed. And no dealer around here has any of these animals. Please could you tell me more ?

Many thanks,
    JL

8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Ampeg SVT.

'nuff said...

9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's an option I considered, but which cab to go with ?
    Not sure the SVT-810E will handle the so well defined low B from the SSII... Am I wrong ?

10. That depends.... I find the 810 is Ok with the B on my SR5, others want more fundamental reproduction than the 810 allows.
    May I suggest one of the NV-series boxes from Bergantino?
    :D I use an NV-610 with a '76 SVT and the cab handles my B beautifully. Growl? You might say that.....:D ;)
    It's got a wider response than the 810 (low and high), it's more sensitive and it's also 70lb lighter and a foot shorter than the 810. Pretty easy to move around.

There's also an NV-215 and and NV-425 (15+3x10) in the series. Drool......

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Word... I was gonna post that.

Get the 6x10 cab, it handles the lows better, apparently.

12. *bump*
    Any cab/amp combinations that would increase a corvette standard's growl??

13. Another Ampeg variation would be the SVP-CL preamp and a power amp of your choosing. IMO when I think of growl I'm not so sure fundamental reproduction is on top of the list so I wouldn't rule out a sealed 8x10 (or 6x10 for that matter).

FWIW my bi-amped 4x8 and 1x15 rig gets all the growl I would ever need.

14. Mesa Bass 400/400+