Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp/cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildsponge, Jan 8, 2005.

1. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Here's the scoop. I currently have an Ampeg SVT-Cl and the 410hlf. I like the tone for the most part but I find it hard to find a balance between the tweeter being too low (sounds underwater) and too high (sounds harsh and brittle). It also doesn't fill the room evenely without just blasting it, which everyone complains about. Every place that we play never has PA support for the bass. Usually just 2 15" mains and some monitors. We play moderately loud and like a decent amount of bass. My question which cab or cabs would let me achieve PA-like room-filling bass that lets me hear it upclose well and also develops in the audience well. It needs to have nice powerful low and low mids, need to cut through, and have sweet highs. THX

2. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    oh and also, I would like to stick with the head I have but if I can't get to there from here let me know suggestions

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    just sell your gear off or trade it out and put in for an ashdown abm 500 or 900 and an ashdown abm 414t cab. that will solve all your problems. :D

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm not sure if it would fix all of your concerns but I recently added a Berg HT210 to be used with my Goliath III. The Berg tweeter is so much smoother that I just turn off the SWR tweeter and use only the Berg tweeter. Much smoother highs. The Berg also phattened up the sound. I would think that the Ampeg 410HLF would be some what close in sound to the SWR Goliath III (especially since the harshness is caused by the Foster horn).