Amp/Cab Wattage Clarity.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joshua R Ison, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Joshua R Ison

Joshua R Ison

Jul 4, 2018
    Ok, experts. I’ve searched and read and I think I know what I’m talking about but would love someone to correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m thinking about upgrading to a Bergantino Forté HP and Genzler 410 Bass Array.

The Forté pushes 1200 watts @ 4 ohm and the Genzler is rated at 1000 watts @ 4 ohms.

My understanding is that the higher amp wattage and lower cab wattage shouldn’t be an issue because I’ll rarely reach 1200 watts (since the amps output is a function of the input signal and the volume knob) and the Genzler should handle much more than 1000 at the odd peak.

Am I correct in my thinking or am I off base (bass?)? I would hate to invest in this awesome equipment and damage it.

2. If you aren't using hearing protection it will be hard to hear your cab complaining over the racket from everything else. You should test it out without the band.

Crank it up until it doesn't get hardly any louder then back it off a nudge. That's your lot.

lomo and Joshua R Ison like this.
  3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

The sensitivity of the 410 Bass array is 103db 1W/1m. The decibel difference from 1W to 1000W is 30dB. 103+30=133dB, which is pretty darn loud.

It's probably true that the cab can handle transients that are significantly over 1000 watts, but this is likely to be frequency dependent. Between 100hz and the crossover frequency (800hz), you're probably pretty safe. I doubt you would feed that much power above 800hz as it would seem brutally loud because our ears are very sensitive to midrange frequencies.

Below 100hz could be a problem. If you like to dial in really heavy lows you are more likely to put the drivers at risk, so you should use some degree of caution. There are two issues here: 1. Often a design's mechanical power handling at various points below 100hz is less than the RMS power rating. (If you read the post I reference below on the benefits of HPFs you should understand.) 2. Your ears are less sensitive to super low frequencies, so significantly more SPL is required for for the perception of high volume. (To understand this Google Fletch Munson curve. The Wikipedia article should be plenty.)

You may want to use an HPF to help protect the woofers from over excursion. Here is a fairly in depth post I wrote a few month back on some of the benefits of HPFs: Is the HPF hype real? I have a question though..and GAS

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  4. Joshua R Ison

Joshua R Ison

Jul 4, 2018
    Thanks so much for the in depth response. I'm not expecting to push the thing too much regularly but want the power for when I do need it.

Also, I play 4 string in a 3 piece so I don't ever need to really push the low end and the Berg has a built in HPF which I anticipate using pretty much all the time. My whole goal with the new gear (and a Dingwall NG3) is to get a focused low end with as little low end mud as possible.

I'll dig into that previous post.

Thanks!

Wasnex likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yep. No problem. Headroom. Just start low and raise until you sense your speakers complaining and then don't go louder. You can blow a lot of speakers with a lot of amps regardless of ratings. So common sense.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Any cab will start to feel spongy or distort. Regardless if 400 or 1000 watts.
    That is the end of the road.

Only real trouble would be low frequency.
    So it's just common sense and using your ears. Most typical 4x10s don't do much more than 300/350 watts. Before obvious distortion. Depends on drivers, newer higher powered Neos can push that envelope up to 450/500 watts. But again depending on low end and EQ it varies.

That's real world power. Of course multible users think they are cranking 500 to 700 watts into a 4x10. You'll never touch anything close to 1000 watts. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    That figures to be a monumental rig!!!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021