1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp cabinet combinations, you like and not!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suraci, Jan 9, 2012.

1. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    I am fascinated by the fact that the same cab will not work with a head that will work with a different head. Ditto for the same amp will sound poorly with one cab but blossom with another.
    One interesting example is the "odd couple" of the thin sounding Shuttle 6 with the "portly" Ampeg HLF. They match better than most amps.

You are welcome to mention your favorite combinations, but if you also added what didn't work, that would give us more information.

2. I really like my PV classic 400 with my 810TX, and I really the CL400 with my 410 TVX, but I dont think it sounds as good with my 115 cab. My Mark VIII has similar results. This is not to say that I dont like the sound the 115 produces, its just a different sound that IMO isnt what I'm looking for.

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    For home practice/studio work, my vintage SWR 220 with my Berg 1x12" is a dream...so much so that I recently acquired an SM400 for more headroom for my live looping gigs. For ensemble playing, the Thunderfunk with a pair of Aggie 1x12's really makes me tingle in parts. One thing about my MB LMII & Berg 1x12" cabs is how good they sound with so many other heads & cabs.

4. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    Coincidence, I am picking up a used MB LMII today at Guitar Center.

I am interested also in odd encounters, where one amp or cab kills in one combination yet, change either the cab or head in that combination and not only is magic gone, but it nearly sucks!

We hear so much about how this or that head ( or cab ) sounds good etc.. but the more time I spend in this game, the more I think it is magical combinations, that are the real deal.
    Thanks

5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Ibanez Promethean (P500H) into Genz Benz NeoX 212T hits that sweet spot for me. With my bass (USA Mill 5) it gets me where I want to be quite easily. :)