1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp/Cabinet Matching

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tntfrahm, Mar 21, 2010.

1. tntfrahm

tntfrahm

Jan 21, 2009
    I have a GK 1001RB (700W at 4 ohms). Recently, I have been considering getting the North Coast Music T100 cabinet (400W at 4 ohms). First, is it possible to run that amp through that cab without frying the cab. Secondly, what cabinet power rating would you suggest for that amp? Thanks for any help!

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, at moderate volumes probably, and thermal power ratings are mostly irrelevant.

Displacement-limited power handling is more of an issue, which most vendors will not tell you about, or give specs for.

3. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    You should be okay as long as you aren't pushing the amp too hard. If you hear it distorting turn it down, or consider a different cab.

4. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    If it starts smelling funny, then it's too loud ;)

5. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    you should be good if you dont turn it too loud....i would just go with 2 410 or an 810 to distribute the wattage fairly. the more speakers you have, the louder it will be, thus being able to fill a concert without having to turn your amp pass 3

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020