Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp/cable noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman4hire, May 17, 2003.

1. bassman4hire

bassman4hire

Jun 14, 2002
    canada
    I use a Yorkville 400W amp with Planet Waves cables. I have a intermitent buzz with this combo. I play a fender jazz bass that was recently recieved a new heavier input jack. After testing cables with the amp, the Planet Waves made the noise, even through a different bass and different rigs. does anyone know why this might be happening? I cleaned out all my jacks with cleaner and q-tips,incase it was a dirty ground, which helped but did not completely clear the prob.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've found that leads get noisy and even fail if they're not rolled up correctly. I'm not sure why. I guess it's because properly rolled leads rarely get tangled up. Maybe the wire itself detioriates if it's not treated with care, eg putting speaker cabs on to of leads, stomping on them etc.... Am I in the ballpark?

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think so, Pete. Years ago I used to fix instrument cables for friends and bandmates, and the most frequent problem was that the shield braid would fray and break apart, usually right at the edge of the plug.

These guys also used the classic thumb-and-elbow technique to coil up their cords, which tends to twist and torque the wire, stressing the shield and gradually breaking the individual strands of copper. I told them to either coil the cords properly, or they'd have to fix or replace their cords themselves. Problem solved. ;)