Amp Care?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkhit, Sep 23, 2003.

1. I bought a used Peavey TNT 130.
    After messing with it for a while I found one of the pots crackled when I turned it. I took the electronics out of the cab and removed two damaged pots.
    Everything had funk all over it. Cobwebs, some sticky kind of stuff.
    Is there some way to clean this sticky residue from the circuit board and chassy. (spelling)

While I had it torn down that far, I removed the speaker cover. It looks like a beer or pop fell and fizzed all over the speaker, it's speckled with the stuff on about half of it. In places there is a mold growning.
    Does anyone know anything about cleaning speakers?

The amp sound great even though it funky.
    Any help will be appriciated.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Radio Shack has some pot cleaner you can probably soak the circuit board down with.

I'm not sure how you can clean the speaker; the paper part isn't that hard but you have to be careful of the surround.

They are pretty solid amps.
  3. Thanks ESP,
    I'm going to Radio Shake tomorrow to pick up a couple of pots. I'll see what they have in the way of cleaning stuff.

I've played in a few groups where the bass player has had TNTs. I've always heard good things about them.
    Thanks again.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Beatles 'White Album' used to work great for me... Oh Wait!!! :eek: Potentiometers... I get it now...

Contact cleaner is nifty stuff... you may want to try it on those crackling pots before replacing them even... Spray a little down the shaft, (or directly on the contacts if it is open enough), while truning the shaft over it's full range of motion in both directions... Cheap, easy, DIY... gotta love it.

5. Hi, rllefebv.
    I think I forgot to say about the pots, Frank Zappa is,,,, Now look what you've done!!!:D.

The two pots I took out need replacing. The pot shafts are bent and one is broken cuz something giggles inside. I said 'damaged' in my first post and I guess since I knew what I was yappin' about so did everyone else.

Thanks for the reply, I gotta run now and find that White album.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Man, what a mess! I almost want to wear rubber gloves when typing this reply;)

Good luck :rolleyes: finding the parts that you need from Radio Shack. They seem to be getting out of the parts business and would rather sell you an RCA home theater system or some stupid cell phone...

An electronics supply store might be a better bet, or someone on-line like Mouser...

Don't rule out Peavey for replacement parts. I've read articles where they had all sorts of replacement parts long after the amp ceased to be made. If the pots are soldered onto the circuit board, they might be your only source for a direct replacement.

If you're cleaning pots, make sure that you use tuner cleaner (RS does have this). It contains a lubricant that the pot needs for continued health. Contact cleaner works on switch contacts, jacks, etc. but will cause your pots to freeze up once they're cleaned. RS might actually sell some printed circuit board cleaner too.

Perhaps you can knock some of the mold off the speaker with a soft brush. I would guess that the treated surround would take to water better than the paper speaker cone would. Perhaps you could send an email to Eminence ( and ask them how to clean raunchy goo from your speaker cone.

Good luck!!!
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    What????:p couldn't resist, its funny to me at 2:50am.