Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jul 30, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a SKB roto case for an Ampeg head but I'm thinking about buying a used SKB rack case.
    This is not the cheaper SKB Roto-molded case, but the ATA-approved flight case. Shows a bit of wear from the road, but the lids are not at all bent. It seals up tightly and the twist-latches work fine. Is $70 a good price? Thanks.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    how many spaces does it have? i paid $100 for my SKB 6-space rack case.. its not a roto..

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
  4. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    that's a pretty good price, as long as it is not too banged up. i bought a new 4-space for around $100.

5. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    Along the same lines, does anyone know if they make a 3-space rack case (19"x10")? I can only find 2 and 4-space racks.

Also, is it recommended to leave a space between pre and power amps?

6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks, I think I'll get it. I have the same question about spacing. Should I leave a space on top and bottom for ventilation? Thanks for all the input.

7. Check out the Gator cases. I just paid $108 out the door (including tax) at Space Music, North Miami, FL for a 6-space roller rack model GRR6. It has a built-in roller and handle system. It also has locator hinges at the bottom of the rack, and a key lock at the top. Basically, it fixes most of the design flaws I found in 12 years of using SKB flight cases.

No surprise there; the principal of Gator is a founder of SKB.

Ask for Shiva at Space. Good people and good prices.

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i've owned skb rack cases, roto-cases, and shock cases. To me, the difference between the roto, and the normal SKB case is only a back lid.... i'd stick with the roto and save the money for other bass stuff...

9. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    But don't you need a back lid if an amp is rear-vented?

10. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    There's an open space where the back lid would be, not a molded back. There's no problem with ventilation. I figure the only reason you'd want a back lid would be to store cords and such inside the case.
    I got a brand new SKB 8 space ATA rack for $90+shipping. Not sure how.