amp cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jul 30, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a SKB roto case for an Ampeg head but I'm thinking about buying a used SKB rack case.
    This is not the cheaper SKB Roto-molded case, but the ATA-approved flight case. Shows a bit of wear from the road, but the lids are not at all bent. It seals up tightly and the twist-latches work fine. Is $70 a good price? Thanks.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    how many spaces does it have? i paid $100 for my SKB 6-space rack case.. its not a roto..

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    6-space

4. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    that's a pretty good price, as long as it is not too banged up. i bought a new 4-space for around $100.

5. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    Along the same lines, does anyone know if they make a 3-space rack case (19"x10")? I can only find 2 and 4-space racks.

Also, is it recommended to leave a space between pre and power amps?

6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks, I think I'll get it. I have the same question about spacing. Should I leave a space on top and bottom for ventilation? Thanks for all the input.

7. Check out the Gator cases. I just paid $108 out the door (including tax) at Space Music, North Miami, FL for a 6-space roller rack model GRR6. It has a built-in roller and handle system. It also has locator hinges at the bottom of the rack, and a key lock at the top. Basically, it fixes most of the design flaws I found in 12 years of using SKB flight cases.

No surprise there; the principal of Gator is a founder of SKB.

Ask for Shiva at Space. Good people and good prices.

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i've owned skb rack cases, roto-cases, and shock cases. To me, the difference between the roto, and the normal SKB case is only a back lid.... i'd stick with the roto and save the money for other bass stuff...

9. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    But don't you need a back lid if an amp is rear-vented?

10. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    There's an open space where the back lid would be, not a molded back. There's no problem with ventilation. I figure the only reason you'd want a back lid would be to store cords and such inside the case.
    I got a brand new SKB 8 space ATA rack for $90+shipping. Not sure how.