Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Choice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass.man.005, Mar 3, 2006.

1. bass.man.005

bass.man.005

Feb 22, 2006
    Okay peoples, I've returned for another new question for everyone! I have 3 options I'm looking at, and I'm wondering what would be the best route to head. I'm about to be heading into the club scene so I need something to power venues of decent size.

Here's what I currently have:
    2 Carvin Redline 15" Cabs. These are the model from about 96-97 era, without the horn.
    Crown R1000 Power Amp
    B. K. Butler Blue Tube Preamp

Now here's the options I'm looking to head towards:
    Selling the Head section, replacing with a Carvin B1500 Head.

Keeping the Power amp section, replacing the pre-amp with a BBE BMax Pre. I look for a very clear, clean, undistorted tone that I don't think I'll be able to find within tubes.

The last one I've been doubting myself on, but selling all of the system and getting an Eden Nemesis NC410 combo with a 15" cab on the bottom. But I'm unsure of trying to come up with the extra cash, and with trying to use the combo with my rack gear.

So now, the wise please release your divine wisdom upon my poor soul! Seriously, I appreciate the help I've already received on the site.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmm... For a clean tone, the Carvin head would fare well, but the cabs you have aren't as efficent as they could be. You may want to get some new cabs as well. Honestly, I think the BMax sounds better than the Carvin, but you should try both. For cabs, I would look at maybe a SWR Goliath III. That should give you plenty of volume with a nice cleantone.

3. bass.man.005

bass.man.005

Feb 22, 2006
    bump bump bump....

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I don't think you can go wrong with the Carvin.
    I only wish it were lighter.
    They have a trial period - so pick one up and try it.

Get the Carvin DVD - they take and toss the B1500 around the parking lot then bring it in and play it. Not sure what it proves, I constantly toss my computer out the window, pick it up, dust it off, then get back to work.

5. bass.man.005

bass.man.005

Feb 22, 2006
    I've been leaning towards the Carvin, I just wanted to see if people would start suggesting the Bmax or an Ampeg SVP pro.

I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a lot mentioned about the Eden. Not that I'm complaining, and neither is my wallet for that matter!

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Nothing against Eden, but their Nemesis line isn't the greatest. I still suggest the BMax, but stay away from anything Ampeg if you want a clean sound.

7. bass.man.005

bass.man.005

Feb 22, 2006
    Well, after some thought, I feel that I'd like to keep the Crown amp because of their quality and how well it has worked for me. Plus I have not heard a complaint about the Bmax from anyone. Also, hopefully the compressor will work very well, leaving me with one less thing I have to add to my rack!
    So with that in mind, what would people suggest as a more efficent cab? Thanks for everyone's help so far, it has been great!