Amp choice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cwm, Mar 17, 2002.

1. cwm

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm getting back into bass after 30 year absence. Like the sound that 350 watts put into double 4x10's at the local bar. After trying out at the store, find I like the sound of the Fender Bassman 400 combo and Ampeg SVT-3PRO w/ SVT410HLF cab. Which should I buy? Playing in small and medium bars and have to compete 100-150 watts of guitar playing through the effects. When playing at bars there'll be an additional 4x10 added.
  2. I've tried the Bassman 400 before and found that they fart out at mid to hi volumes. Probably not the best thing for clubs. The Ampeg kicks ass. The head and cabinet are both pro level stuff and I doubt you'll need another 4x10 cab for gigs. It's in another league than the Fender Bassman. That's just MO. Good luck!
  3. Ampeg is best...i have an svt4pro and a classic wonders man!
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    it's pretty hard to beat an SVT 3 pro in any situation.... great head, I would definately go with the Ampeg rig over the Fender... Fender has great basses, but I think they are a little lacking with the amps...

5. :) Here's another vote for the SVT II Pro and the 410 HLF - hey, that's my rig!

Seriously, this is a killer set up for small to medium large clubs, with a passive bass. I augment mine with a Tech 21 Bass compactor pedal and a BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer to get the tone nice and even.

This rig is particularly good for classic rock and blues type tone - thick and heavy with lots of low mid punch. I usually also run through the house, but it's not necessary for volume. This set up is not really hifi, but that's not my sound. For hifi, see SWR...
  6. ;) By the way, welcome back. I got back into playing about three years ago after taking 20 years off. The selection of equipment available today at reasonable prices literally boggles the mind! Enjoy!
  7. cwm

Feb 14, 2002
    Thank you for your opinions. I had orginally been looking at the combos for use as a practice amp w/the band and as a head unit at the job or maybe line out to the PA. I have reservations on the power handling of 2x's especially after auditioning SWR Super Redhead and G-K1001RB. They sound great for slap, but lack the low, deep clean sound I'm looking for and also didn't seem to have alot of volume control left. Also your opinion about the one 4x cab being enough for nearly any situation will save me some money and one less cab to haul around. Fifteens are heard in any situation, but I like the ten's sound better. cw
  8. Yeah,I really think that the 4x will do the job easily. I agree about 10's. They are alot punchier than 15's. 15's are too tubby and slow for my tastes. Good luck...
  9. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    SVTIII is rather quiet...