Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp choices. (EA & LDS)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 12, 2005.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I need to get a new amp to use with my upright. I am going to sell my Aguilar 2x12, and Ampeg preamp + seperate power amp to get the funds. The new amp only needs to be used for upright. I play a kc strings carved bass with a realist pickup. I know all basses sound different, but i would appreciate any advice on a light flat sounding combo you have.

On this budget some things I am considering are an EA powered Wizzy 1x12 with some sort of preamp (is $699 a good price). An EA CXL-1x12 with a used AI head. A LDS 1x8 with a used AI head (would this have enough volume to play in medium size combo situations?), or a mackie/yamaha powered pa.

One thing I am curios about is what is the difference in sound between the CXL-1x12, and Wizzy 1x12?

Any other suggestions are welcome to, especially if they are cheaper.

Thanks.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The CXL cabs are a bit agressive for double bass. They still sound nice, but I think the wizzy sounds more natural. Pairing a Wizzy 1x12" with a Clarus/Focus would be a great sounding rig with a lot of volume. The Wizzy is 4ohm and has a high sens.

3. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Any Acoustic Image head with an LDS 1x8 3way sounds amazing and ought to cover you. I have a couple of threads around about this. I just had the Wizzy in for a trial with an Acoustic Image head, and it was a bit more colored than the LDS or the older EA VL cabs, so i didn't keep it. I haven't tried the LDS 1x10 3way, but I was told it would have the same super tone, just more low end power. They also make a 2x8 2way and 3way. The LDS cabs are very affordable and in my experience to date, the ones to beat of what's currently available for DB.

4. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I own a ultralight LDS 3x10 cab and can say it's the best new cabinet I've owned for elec.bass. It's built like a tank and it really puts out a great sound. And it weighs 50lbs!

I use an EA CXL-112L for loud upright gigs only and a Epifani 110 UL for the small gigs. My amp is an AI focus.

I might look into an LDS 8" speaker cab in the future, although I might wait for EA to make a cab with 8" speaker again and compare. In the meantime, what I have now works great.

For the money you can't go wrong with Don at LDS. ;)

5. Could you describe how it is colored in comparison to the LDS or VL-208? Also did you use it with the Clarus or Focus? I was thinking about trying one myself. I am told just be careful and 600W shouldn't be a problem, but I might just be too paranoid to pair it with the Focus. Thanks!

6. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I first tried the Wizzy in my small practice room, with the EA iAMP500 head and a DB with K&K BMP. Cabs were an Accugroove 208, EA VL208 and the Wizzy. The Wizzy had a very smooth midrange, deep bottom and pleasing, musical sound at these low volumes. Playing the Accugroove or the VL208 revealed all sorts of 'defects' in my playing - fingernoise, squeak on some notes, etc. In a way, not very pleasing. But it was clear the Wizzy was masking the sound. I also found the 12" driver to be a little slower to respond, but as it wasn't a blind demo, I may have been imagining this.

However, the real test came at the studio with my jazz trio. There, I have either a Focus or Clarus SL and an EA VL110 with a similarly setup DB. There, it only took a minute, but I couldn't get the tone I'm used to while running the Wizzy. The bass was quite muddy and the singing sound I get easily with VL110 was gone. It was like I was playing with mittens on. I quickly went back to the VL110 for the rest of the day. At the end, I tried both cabinets for the drummer in an A-B test with just the bass. I actually thought the cabinets were closer in sound for this test, but the VL110 was still preferred. The drummer, who has excellent ears, didn't like the Wizzy, saying it made my DB sound like a bass guitar. That wrapped it up.

I REALLY wanted to like the Wizzy. Its fit and finish, size and weight, make it a very, very nice package...one of the best I've ever seen. I'm sure it's a winner for bass guitar. But against these more accurate cabinets, its not in the same league for DB.

7. Thanks for that report. It's interesting to hear a different opinion on something that's generally well-liked for DB.