Amp Choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassnovice, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    You guys have been a awesome help in the past and now I need some help again. I am buying a new amp (this is my second one) and I have decided on two amps but I cannot choose which one to get. The choices are: Roland Cube100 and
    Behringer ultrabass powerpack 2

Dies anyone have any opions. Thanks for the help.
  2. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    if those are your only two picks, go with the Roland.
  3. Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    I live in Australia so there is a slightly more limited array of bass amps but what else would you reccommend if you feel that way?
  4. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Can you get your hands on Ashdown or even used Peavey down in Oz? If so, I'd go with that.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Look for used Trace Elliot 715, 7215, or 7210 combos. Peavey also has a lot of cheap combos and you can pick up used ones dirt cheap.

Out of your two choices you listed, I would definately go with the Roland.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What are you playing right now, and why do you want a new amp? What type of music do you play? Are you in a band? Are you playing shows? If so, do you have PA support?
  7. Hi there bassnovice,

The roland is ~$800 new.
    If i were you - i'd go 2nd hand ONLY, you get so much more for your money. Peavey, and York 200w combo's are pretty good.
    And in my experience, Behringer stuff is over-rated for wattage, they're really crappy for quality too.

8. Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    Roland by far I have had three cubes and have played on like every cube offered now they are great for what they are
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Based on the question asked - which of these two amps - get the Roland.
  10. I looked at both and went for the Behringer and was not disappointed - I absolutely love it. I looked for three months everywhere and there is nothing out there that has anywhere near the same value for money, even second hand.

If I remember rightly, the Behringer powerpack is 450 Watts and the Roland is 100 Watts. You won't really hear your bass over the guitars and drums with 100 Watts. For a comparable size combo, you could get the Behringer 1200 combo - a friend has that and it's a little powerhouse for small gigs or home practice.

Don't believe the negative brand hype out there - try it for yourself.

I got mine from the Bass Centre in South Melbourne and they did a great deal.
  11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Neither - go used Peavey....

- georgestrings
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine