1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp choices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OmegaZ27, Apr 12, 2006.

1. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Well, yes, I've searched the threads. But I want your guy's opinions. I'm looking for an affordable amp under $500 USD and with 100-200w. So far, I'm keeping my eye on Behringer and Ashdown, but many of you guys hate Behringer, so... :meh: I dunno. Any suggestions?

2. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    Can always go the used route and buy a peavey. Ashdown aren't bad they just have been having reliability issues lately.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Look used, definately. If you can get $100 more, you have way more options. Kustom Groovebass, Traynor YBA-200, Yorkville 800.

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm assuming by the specs you posted your looking for a combo amp.

Check out the Carvins. I Just bought a 100 watt PB100 for my daughter since she is keeping her amp at her teachers studio. It was $239.00 at the Carvin store. 100 watts, nice construction and surprisingly loud for 100 watts. Tone wasn't bad either. It also has an effects loop, and a built-in compressor, Why? I don't know, but it's there.

They also have a 160 watt version with a tweeter and graphic EQ for $349.00.

I haven't played through many Carvin bass amps but for a practice amp I thought I would give it a try. I was very suprised by the tone I got out of it. I thought it sounded much better than the Behringer & Crate amps in the 100 -120 watt range that I tried out. It was priced much better than the Crate and about $40.00 more than the Behringer.

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I don't know about the Ashdown MAG series stuff and the ABMs are pricey ... The Carvin route is a good bet IF your going new. Don't pass on pre-owned though there are some real bargins out there...

6. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    So Carvin, huh? I'll check them out. Thanks guys!

Also, are there any specific websites that offer used amps? because I've searched on the internet and all I can find is heads/cabs, but no combos under 500.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Used Eden products are a good value as well.

I got an Eden WT-300 head used in very good condition for
    400 here on TB. Loud as heck.

There are tons of good deals out there on good value stuff.
    New Behringer, pffffft. Don't go there.