Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tuldie, Dec 25, 2000.

1. Tuldie

Tuldie

Apr 18, 2000
    i'm about to buy a new bass amp. it's to play around in my basement. i'm upgrading from a 30W amp and i'm looking at a 100W amp. what are the better brands. i've heard that crate is known for it's amps, not fender. any suggestions from the audience?

Tuldie

2. CRazY baSsISt

CRazY baSsISt

Aug 30, 2000
    I dont know im wondering what to get too.But i heard ampegs and hartkes are nice.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    My vote would be Ampeg,SWR or Eden. I've heard good reports on the new Fender Bassman small combos as well. But the real answer here is to take your bass to the music store and try a bunch to see what YOU like.

4. I would have to say I have never been very impressed with Crate. I use a Hartke, but it is well over the 100 watts you are looking for. There are plenty of amps out there, but are you looking for solid state, tube, or hybrid? If you are not running a lot of super clean rack stuff, for just a simple amp, it is hard to beat a Bassman for simplicity. But that's just my opinion.

5. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    I'd say a lot depends on how much you are willing to spend. You could get by with spending $100, or you could shell out over $1000 if you really wanted to. Let us know your price limits.