Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp combinations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sidhk817, Dec 15, 2004.

1. hey i need a new rig for the rehearsals in my band
    but my budget is only limited to 1000 bucks
    should i get one better head and one better cab,or
    one cheaper head and two cheaper cabs?
    and can u guyz give me some recommendations based on my budget

PS:i want some loud stuffs cuz the drummer is fairly aggressive tho we only have one guitarist

thx

2. anyone?? :help: :help: :bawl: :bawl:
    bump

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Gallien-Krueger 700RB and an Avatar 410 or 212. Or get the 1001RB-- you should still be under a grand. I use a 700RB and one or two Avatar CB112s and find that I'm plenty loud enough even in a 5 piece (bass, drums, congas, and 2 guitars).

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I have always been a fan of Genz-Benz for inexpensive quality enclosures. I've been using a setup of a Genz-Benz GBE600 head that I picked up used at our store for $325 and a couple of GB 210T-XBs. I have been back and forth thinking about selling my 410T-XB that I haven't been using lately, and am definitely selling a 410T that I haven't used really since I got it.

If you're interested in either of the 410s, let me know. The 410T-XB is 500W @ 8 ohms and has killer low end because of its porting, and the 410T is 400W @ 8 ohms. I also have a real sweet SWR Triad that I bought for a studio cab that I haven't used. It's 400W @ 4 ohms. You should be able to get a cab (get one of mine! hehe) and a good amp and still be under a grand if you buy used. Best thing about buying used, you can usually get most (if not all) of your money back if you decide to get something else later. If you buy new, it's worth about half as much as you paid for it as soon as you get it to your house.

As far as amps go, I highly recommend a Genz-Benz head if you can get a GBE400 or GBE600 cheap, and if not, the SWR Bass 350 (not the 350x) is one of the best sounding amps I've ever owned, and they can be picked up used on the 'bay for around $350 or $400. I sold mine for $375 on there a few months after paying $700 for it new, but that was only because I really needed money and had just gotten an SWR Mo'Bass.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    definitely check out used. here on tb classifieds there are always some cool deals, as well as on bassgear.com and you can always check the e-bay. Just ask here about a specific amp if you don't know anything about it. Also, see if you can find someone near you who knows what to look for and can help you. I would stay away from used cabinets unless you can try them locally, as you are less likley to get burned, and because they are expensive to ship. Based on the requirements you set up, it looks like you would probably want a head that can put out 300-400 watts into 4 ohms, and either one 4 ohm cabinet that has either 4 tens or 2 twelves, or a couple of eight ohm cabinets that have 2 tens, 1 twelve, or 1 fifteen each. Alternately, (although it will be more expensive) you could look into a head that will put out 300-400 watts into an 8 ohm cabinet and look into 8 ohm 4x10 cabs. There are tons and tons of options out there, so try a bunch.

6. 2 Ashdown MAG 410T's...$600 for the pair

Behringer BX3000T...$229
    or
    Ashdown MAG 300H...$329

Both are 300 watts heads, but a very loud 300 watts

or a used Peavey Max 700 475 watts @ 4 ohms...$570 new, prolly around 350-400 used

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Buy used. You can get a very nice head for 500 and a very nice 410 for 500. There's your $1k.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think SWR makes a "Workingman" model for about $1000. Not sure of the specs, but I've played through one and they are pretty nice for smaller gigs.