1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp companies that also make power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bensboy, Aug 13, 2019.

1. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Traynor (Yorkville Sound) has forever.

[​IMG]

Gizmot, Ampslut and Seashore like this.
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    the nuke.PNG
    :bag:

FatBoutedGirls and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Jule makes a phenomenal power amp - M700 and now a M2500.

interp and Ric Vice like this.
  4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    SWR

arbiterusa and The Nameless like this.
  5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Monique M700. Monique M2,500.
    I own a M 700 and it's amazingly well thought out and built to last a very long time

interp and oranje like this.
  6. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    They just don’t anymore. That all died in the late 90s . The bass amp world has been in a state of constant change pretty much since the beginning ( ampeg b15) . At this time we have almost completed the transition from regular solid state to class D . What’s next? Well I’m hoping powered class D cabs . With the plethora of preamp pedals Already available I hope it’s the next step towards truly modular Bass rigs.

7. Crown has been in this world at least as long as I have and I’ve been retired for awhile. Crown
    McIntosh used to be on the short list, too, but I’ve been away from the need for this amount of power for years, so I don’t know if they still are.

8. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Love mine...
    2EE18CBC-448F-445C-971A-DACCE683C187.

jmlee likes this.
  9. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Yep, Peavey would definitely be at the top of the list. Back in their '80s and '90s heyday, Peavey not only sold both bass rig amps and CS power amps (and almost every other conceivable niche in popular music instruments, including drums), but they probably sold more of them in each category than their nearest competitor.

arbiterusa likes this.
  10. Demeter comes to mind also. Didn’t see anyone mention them. 6F4BC51E-5D13-479E-B402-76E910C5E9A5. I use the aux in on my Mesa d-800 to amplify my keyboard while I have my bass connected to the normal input. Works great for synth bass and stuff so I imagine it would work really well if you wanted to plug a bass pre amp into the aux in. For gigs with foh support just xlr out of your preamp/di of choice

11. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    What's the appeal of powered cabs? Which are, after all, really combo amps without preamps? I haven't kept up with this stuff, so excuse me being out of date, but powered monitors for example seem to mean running two connections to every cab instead of one, and a lot of mains in close proximity to signal. I don't get what the advantage is over a rack of power amps. Especially as it seems to me with classD you ought to be able to get several amps/ channels in a single 2U case. What am i missing? Is it just the combo convenience of one box, or is there something more subtle i dont get?

Zbysek likes this.
  12. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    R.A.D. Engineering ICE 1000P

Ric Vice likes this.
  13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I, too, don't share the preference for powered cabs. I like versatility. I have usually about 8 cabs...but only up to four amps. I like to be able to play one cab on Friday and different cab on Saturday. If all of them were powered, I would have to pay much more for them... Just my 2 cents...

14. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Dynacord used to make some pretty special bass amps

Gizmot likes this.
  15. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    That’s awesome!

Zbysek likes this.
  16. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Eden back in the day. Don't think I saw them mentioned.
    As for using a bass amp effects return to bypass the preamp, I always wonder if the power section on an amp has its own "mojo" going on, other than say some limiting, hpf, etc. I've tried running into the return of my Tone Hammer 500 and, to my ears anyway, it has a bit of somethin' somethin' going on.

17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Unless I’m using a combo amplifier the number of cables is the same. Granted, the kind of cable is different. The main advantage of powered cabs with preamps
    is I can have the preamp right at my fingertips and place the powered cabinet
    further behind me. Another plus is having the ability to switch preamps out or use different sized cabs. Just my take.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Haroldo likes this.
  18. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    The same applies to separate power amps and cabs, IMU. Am I missing something?

19. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Macintosh, high end sound. Used one for a few years in the 70’s through 80’s. Heavy and not cheap. I think it was model 2100 mono block but not sure.