1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp companies that also make power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bensboy, Aug 13, 2019.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This was my first thought.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Heck I didn't even know they were the same company.

3. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Simplicity. One would assume that the manufacturer would pair up the amp and cab properly so that means you can purchase and lug just what you need. Couple it with a preamp in pedal form and youre set.
    Imagine doing coffee shop gigs with an acoustic guitar/singer and you can walk up with a 1x10 and velcro an mxr bass preamp pedal on top of it. Thats your rig. a 12" xlr connects the two. Not a fan of the MXR? Do the aguilar...or eden... or sansamp... or darkglass... or ampeg etc. Have a few if ya want and use em for different gigs.

Of course you could just do that with a class D head... but now youre looking at ohms... and wattage... and this and that... and now the unit is a head so itll naturally be a tad larger... and if you want a different tone, youll need to replace the head which means another head.

4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Any combo with FX return fits your description. But the point is: why to limit use of your power amp just to one cab? I am thinking: if I have a power amp, I want to be able to use it with various cabs. Sometimes one 1x10 as in your coffee shop scenario. Sometimes with one 1x12 (jazz trio). Sometimes with two 2x12 (rock band). If those are powered cabs, I would need to pay for four power amp modules (one in the 1x10 cab, one in the 1x12 cab, two in two 2x12 cabs) to cover all those scenarios.

Why would one want to be forced to pay for power amp for each of his cabs? That's what I don't get...

5. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Why would one want to be forced to pay for a bunch of cabs for his amp? Different folks have different needs and different means. Your insistence on multiple cabs might be financially nuts to some while its a smart and modular move to others. Dont think of a powered cab as a restrictive version of separates. Think of it as a more versatile combo. There are a lot of solid preamps in pedal form these days and if most of your gigs are smallish/more chill scenarios then a 1x10 or 1x12 could meet the needs really well. For anything larger youre in FOH anyways.
    I saw Batushka last year in chicago and the bass player brought a preamp pedal, distortion pedal, and a chorus or something. Thats it. No amp at all, sounded absolutely massive.

6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Of course. I can speak only about my preferences, not others'.

I fail to see any logic in this statement. Lets compare two options: 1. powered 1x12 cab with 400watts power module in it; 2. my 1X12 (pasive) cab and my SWR Amplite power amp. How is the first option more versatile than the second one? I can use the pasive cab with other amps, I can use the Amplite with other cabs...I can leave the cab at home and travel to rehearsal room with the Amplite, I can leave the cab at the rehearsal room and take Amplite home to use it for practicing....etc. In case of powered cab, I am stuck with one box-that's it. No (or at least less) versatility, IMHO.

Sure thing. I can use various preamp pedals with the SWR Amplite power amp...

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Bensboy :)

Glockenklang

[​IMG]

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Bensboy and Zbysek like this.
  8. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Its not more versatile. I said it would be more versatile than a combo. You stated an example of a cab and an amp.

And yea, you can do all that with your amp and other cabs. You can also do the same with combos, a single cab/head, a rack, multiple cabs... whatever ya want. Different people have different wants and different budgets. Not everybody is concerned with having to buy a separate amp within each powered cab, some people prioritize the convenience and aesthetic of it all being built in.

It doesnt have to be the right option for you in order for it to be an option worth existing. Just like how i dont understand the lack of a manual trans in the new vette or why people ruin their guitars with emg pickups. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    No, I didn't. In my post No. 39, I spoke about "separate power amps and cabs". Btw. this whole thread is about power amps. I can see that this is probably the source of our little misunderstanding. I am glad we sorted that out...

Ok, fair enough. I honestly wanted to know the reason why people choose powered cabs. I can see that this might be it.

Sure. I do appreciate existence of options. Our conversation here helps me make my decisions about those options.

Have a good one!

10. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    You too dude! Options are sweet, imagine how small GC would be without em :roflmao:

Zbysek likes this.
  11. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

SWR Power 750
    Aguilar DB728

Zbysek likes this.
  12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Exactly!:thumbsup:

13. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Dedicated p.a. power amps are for sale a dime a dozen now that the p.a. market is almost entirely powered speakers. I'v e seen good QSC amps for $200.

Wisebass, Zbysek, agedhorse and 2 others like this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I just found a QSC USA 900, just like the one I ran for a bass rig (and occasional PA duty) for 15 years, on sale for $109. I was tempted; then I remembered how much they weigh. And how much the rack weighs. And that I'd need a preamp. And that all those things together weigh about the same as a V4B. And I also remembered that I have two MB500s that together weigh less than my last preamp. Or my last cat. So now I'm over it.

Sad in a way because that stuff is bulletproof and sounds AMAZING. But it's not worth the hassle anymore. Just like my old SWR 4x10 Goliath. I keep thinking "haul that thing out, it sounds incredible" and somehow the Golight 4x10, half the weight, ends up in the back of the car every single time. Like that QSC someone is trying to unload, you can't even sell this stuff anymore at any price.

S-Bigbottom and agedhorse like this.
  15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Absloutely not, except in my case I'm doubling quite a bit or playing Double Bass, so the less I have to schlep the better. I have a Monique M 700 that I used to
    gig with various cabinets, It sounded really good, especially doubling, but my powered MAS 4x5.5 weighs 30 lbs, sounds better for DB and is about 10 lbs less
    combined with a Grace Designs Felix. I realize that I'm fortunate enough to afford this rig ( I did buy everything used, so I saved a few bucks). A totally modular
    system with a separate Pre Amp, Power Amp, and Cabinets, makes it very easy to swap out components, so all I save is space and weight.

Zbysek likes this.