Amp Comparisons AMPEG Vs. GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groove9028, Dec 16, 2004.

1. groove9028

May 25, 2004
    Well, i was looking around for a good combo amp.. This Ampeg Digital BA-120SP caught my eye and so did the Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II/210. Since this is my first time buying an amp, i was wondering which one you'd recommend.
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ampeg tonally, but if the GK has a detatchable head, and the 700RB/2 is a good amount of watts, I would go with that one.
  3. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Isn't the Fender bassman 400 around the same price? That thing has amazing lows for a 2x10. Great sound and volume. I've gigged with mine.

4. goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    My friend had that Ampeg, he digged it's sound and effects, but allways thought it was somehow underpowered fot it's stated wattage (220 watts). And it has no extension speaker output so you're stuck with it's internal speakers. I think that as far as versatility and power goes, Gallien Krueger is far better choice.
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    What's the pricing? I'm don't feel like looking them up right now.
  6. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Depends on what you want. GK and Ampeg are two totally different sounds. The ampeg may remind you of a 70's rock sound. This sound has also been seen in many different types of music. The GK is going to leave you with a more modern sound. The GK is clearer in my opinion and a 700 rb II is probably all you will ever need as far as power is concerned. The coolest thing about that combo is that you can mate it up on top of a 115 RBH and bi amp everything for a pretty bichin amp stack. Sound wise and aesthetically.

7. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Have you tried them both? Consider the tone, you will probably prefer one of the 2.

Take your time to decide, DON'T RUSH: First amp I bought was an Ampeg 115, I chose in 1 day to take advantage of a special, and ended up selling it after several months. I didn't like the tone too much, and also it always made a hissing noise, which was a pain in the neck when playing at low volume. After doing some research, but too late though, I found out quite a few people complained about this also.
  8. I love the sounds you can get from the ampeg in that I seem to recall it has some effects and a "style" switch that changes the voicing of the amp, and would pick it for an "at home" amp. For gigging and future expanded use the GK would get my vote. It has lots of watts, you can use it on stage without the worries if the cloth speaker cover (on the Ampeg). The GK can be tilted back or rocked forward for stage use, and it has the dolly handle and wheels for transport. You can also remove the head and build your own separate stack if you decide you don't want the 2-10s, and have a good amount of power for just about any application. :D