Amp configuration ideas....your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 3, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    First off, thank you to those who help me out with this. I was referred to this site from another person. They told me there is a vast amount of knowledge in this forum.

Currently, I play a Hartke3500 head with a Black Widow 2x15 Cabinet. I like it, but it doesn't seem to get the punchy highs I hear from other bass players. The bottom end is tremendous.

I now have a chance to pick up an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet to replace the 2x15's. Do you think the Hartke can power this cab? I played on it at the music store, but I was not able to put it through a full test. I really want it, but I am not looking forward to the task of moving it around. I got some amazing lows out of it. I play an Ibanez 5-string.

The other option I have is to purchase an Ampeg BA210 combo. It is 200 watts. I played on this as well, and it sounded amazing! I could not believe how nice it was. I am just afraid I would be disappointed with the reduction in wattage. Would this play loud enough for a band? We have a guitar player with a 4x12 cabinet and some kind of Peavey amp, and our drummer is like most.....he pounds loudly on his drums. Also, could I add a 1x15 cabinet to it to add some lows?

I am new at the gear info. Is a 200 watt combo adequate? I play in a rock cover band. We cover bands like Incubus/Green Day/Puddle of Mudd/3 Doors Down/7 Mary 3. My 2x15 cab is plenty loud. I often get asked to turn it down. From what I have learned, watts do not always equal volume. It is more about the speakers than the watts, right? I realize I need a certain amount of watts to start with, but can I get good sound from the BA210 in a band setting? I think I am starting to repeat myself, so I will shut up and listen. :)
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The Ampeg 810 is a 4 ohm cab so your Hartke 3500 will power it just fine. BUT at only at about half the wattage the 810 is rated at. See if you can try it out first before buying and use your own judgement on whether it will be loud enough. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.:cool:
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent. Thank you for your thoughts....That is what I thought about using the Hartke head...only using about half the potential of the 810.

Maybe I should go with the 210 combo then. That way I do not have all of that wattage sittin around going to waste.
  4. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Well, just FYI:

People have been running SVTs through these babies since before I was born. I wouldn't be too worried about having to power the cab with an amp that has a matched power rating. ;)
  5. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    The Ampeg BA210 cannot power an external cabinet. It can however, go line out to your Hartke and then to a 1x15.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

HMmmmmm....I wonder who got "username" confused with "email address" ??!! ;)
  7. Why don't you just supplement your 2 x 15" Black Widow cab with a 2 x 10" cab to bring out the punchy highs more?
    I don't know what the impedance of your Peavey cab is, but if it's only 8 ohms then you are probably not using your Hartke head to it's full potential anyway, as I believe most modern bass heads give their full rated power at 4 ohms.
    If that's the case then you could save yourself a lot of money by only having to purchase a 2 x 10" cab. Which could be a backsaver for lower powered gigs and rehearsals.
    As far as the 200 watt Ampeg goes, I would be surprised if it could keep up with a loud band. I doubt that you would be able to hear yourself over the guitar quad and drummer. :meh:
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Uhhhh.....please explain.

trevor.....My 215 cab is rated at 4ohms. So I do not think I can plug in another cab to the head. The two speaker outputs on the back say 8ohms on them. I don't think it would be a good idea to plug in a 4ohm, and an 8ohm cab. Or even worse two 4ohm cabs.
    The only drawback I could come up with on the BA210 is that it would not be loud enough. I haven't found any reviews on it yet from people that have used it, but I think you are correct about being drowned out by the drums/guitar.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm prescient!! :)

I refer to posts that come after me!!
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was all excited about getting the BA210 combo. The small size would be a nice change from hauling around my 215 cab and head.

From what I can gather, the BA210 will not be loud enough, and I can not add a 115 to it later.

Back to the SVT810. I want to buy it, but my HA3500 will only push 240 watts into it at 8ohms, the 810 will only have 20 more watts than the little BA210 combo. So, I guess I will have to buy a new head. Putting 240 watts into an 800 watt cabinet seems like a complete waste.
  12. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    No worries... the SVT 810E is only a 4 ohm cab, not 8, so you will be able to use almost half of the cab's rated power handling.:D
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    why not a 6x10? or a 4x10?
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Pushing 350 watts into the SVT810 isn't so bad then. Thanks for the clarification Mathias!

I suppose I could go with a 410, the music shop I go to has a couple. One of them is a David Eden I believe. They want $400 for it. It is pretty well beat up.

The reason the SVT810 is so attractive to me is that it is in absolutely mint condition, every tag is still on it. The music shop only wants $699 for it. But they won't take my 215 as trade.

I just really wanted that BA210 since it is so small. I am concerned I will be having some serious buyers remorse a month or so from now for having such a small amp.

OK...tell me this. If I always run the combo through a PA, will it matter that it is only 220 watts?