Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp confusion......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irie01, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I recently bought an Ampeg Ba115 100watt combo amp and I am beginning to have second thoughts about keeping it. I was happy with the size, but I do not think that I can get the sounds that I am looking for. I like to play a lot of Reggae and am learning jazz. I also like to play some punk and ska songs. I am wondering if it would be better for me to build my sound system instead of using a combo. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? I was aslo wondering what would be a good brand to go with in doing, considering the music I play, and what is available in the $1000 price range. Right now I am jammin in houses but I do think that it won't be too long before playing other places.

2. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Sorry.... I should have been a bit more specific about what I meant by buildi0ng a sound system. I dont really know all the actual terms, but ill try...
    I want a good bass head or amp and I gues cabs or if there is something else to use I would like to do that. Please share your knowledge of amps and speakers with me, it would be great help in making my decision.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, here's my advice though of course this will be a lot of what my opinions and preferences are. First thing that I've found out is that it isn't cool to have to lug some huge rig all around to just play a smaller gig, so a decent combo amp is definitely a plus (though there are ways around that if you have a very modular rack rig). And also, this way you don't have to power up the huge main rig just for practicing. Second of all, if you like really deep and thick bass (like I do) you'll probably want to stick with 15" or larger speakers (though I'm sure smaller speakers can be used, but that will necessitate more of them which equals more weight and a different tone). I have yet to find any smaller speaker that sounds like a 15" (and the reverse is also true as well) so what it really comes down to is what you want to sound like.

I personally use two combo amps slaved together and I'm quite happy with the tone. I roll off everything above say 500Hz or so on the BX-100 (maybe sometimes a bit lower frequencies) and use my Workingman's 10 for everything above that. I call it my "poor man's Triad" system. Overall, great volume and sound dispersion. Thumps like crazy (which is kinda surprising) yet still sounds very clear and defined. HOWEVER, if I had to do it again, I'd probably get an Ampeg 15" combo and then save some money for a rack system (probably Eden). Reason? More flexibility. More power. Easier upgradeability overall. Also, though a rack system may weigh more it's also seperated into several pieces, so that makes moving things a little easier (especially in icy parkinglots in winter).

So overall, I think you've got a great amp to start with. See what others have to say, but I'd say keep your amp and then save to eventually get something larger if needed unless you are already finding that you don't have enough power.

4. Irie01, that amp you have there is a pretty good one. Ampegs are known for their warm tone, and I'd say that would pretty much cover Reggae and jazz. I read what White Knight said, and pretty much agree. My advice, humbly offered, would be to keep this amp until playing larger venues becomes a reality, then start looking for a bigger amp. Even if/when you get a monster amp, I'd still keep the Ampeg combo for practicing and small gigs. I am a true believer that one amp is not enough for most players. We all need a practice amp, and a giging amp. With only one amp, a compromise has been made somewhere. I know money is the bottom line in this consideration, but, if at all possible, go the two amp route. I don't mean to spend your money, but, for what you'll probably get for the Ampeg used, I think you'll be happier in the long run if you keep it, and get the big amp when the need presents itself. Just my $.02

Thanks for listening,
    Mike J.

P.S. I've never owned a really big amp, so I can't recommend one. Others will be here soon with their ideas.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Dont Keep it,

you're obviously NOT happy, so why sit with it? take it back and try something else to get the tones you want. Try as many different amps, combos, cabs as you can and find the tone you want. i'll take some trial and error, but you'll be the best for it. If nothing's in your area, then try finding shops online that offer evaluation periods. sure, you'll pay extra for shipping, just for trying an amp, but in the long run, you'll be sure you're looking for the right tone. Try Bass Northwest. they seem to carry the most equipment, afaik. i'm sure those guys'll help you find your tone.

if you're really serious about your sound and have the moooola, then get a head or preamp/poweramp rig rather than combos. Heads are really light these days, like Eden's 15 lbs. WT400 or EA's 18 lbs. iAMP350. Preamps are usually 10 lbs. and tho poweramps can be incredibly heavy, Stewart Audio makes the 1.6 World that only weighs 10 lbs.!! that way as your venues increase, you can find larger cabs to use, rather than having to buy a whole other rig. just plug in a go. mucho more versatile.

get a small 2x10 or 1x12 for now, and later as your needs grow, you can always add another cab and plug into the head.

THen again, if you dont have the moooola, then forget everything i just told you...

6. Give Carvin a try.

They have different combos of systems in your price range.

You can opt for a 600 or 1000 watt head, and choose between a 2X10, 4X10, 1X15, or 1X18 cabinet.

For $1000 or under you can have a head, and 2 cabinets. You get a 10 day trial period, and can return for any reason.