1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Consolidation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Apr 3, 2009.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Okay, I'm being laid off from my job in a couple of months and need to consolidate. I currently own an Ampeg SVT-VR that I'm keeping for bigger, outdoor gigs, but I'm looking to consolidate my other 2 amps for smaller/medium indoor gigs.

Right now I have an Ampeg Portabass 250 that I use for the smaller gigs that I kind of fit in my double bass gig bag (makes the bag pretty heavy). For medium-sized gigs, I'm using a rack with my Sansamp RBI into a QSC PLX3002 power amp (it's really overkill for these situations). I'm considering getting rid of both of these setups and going with a smaller, compact bass head such as:

• Markbass Little Mark II
    • Gallien-Krueger MB2-500
    • Eden WTX500

I'm looking for opinions on the feasibility of this (I believe I can come out ahead money-wise even if I buy one of these 3 head brand-new), and which of these 3 heads you guys would recommend. I know the Eden just came out, but it looks really good on paper! I hear alot of good things about the Markbass but have never tried one out. The GK is the lightest of the bunch, but it only has Speakon outputs (I need 1/4" to use with my Bag End cabs).

FYI, I'll be using my Avatar NEO 210 for the smaller gigs, and my Bergantino NV610 for the medium-sized gigs. I think 300 watts into the Avatar and 500 watts through the Berg should be sufficient with either of these heads.

Thanks for any recommendations/tips you can provide!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd keep both the Ampegs, and sell off the pre/power rig, and not buy anything.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That Portabass is actually big, heavy and low powered compared to the current batch of micros'. I can't imagine having that in my bass gig bag!!!

On your list of choices, I don't think the higher power Eden Micro is shipping yet (and the current 260 is NOT a good thing by any measure... tone, power, price, size, value, etc. IMO), and do a search on that GK unit... problem after problem after issue after issue. I would avoid that like the plague, at least at this point. I assume they will get things worked out someday on that one.

I really like the LMII, but it's really a clean machine, so that might not be your thing.

I would think about a Shuttle 6.0. It's small, has a but in it for a little more of that sort of tone, and it will be a LOT louder and a lot smaller, lighter than your Portabass. I prefer the LMII myself (fatter, warmer, cleaner, louder), but the Shuttle 6.0 is cool, and a lot of guys like the hybrid design to get a bit of that tube thing going.

If you really are using your small amp only for very small gigs, and you've found the PortaBass250 loud enough, you might consider the Shuttle 3.0. No tube in the pre, but low cost, reasonable volume, and REALLY small and lightweight.

IMO.

4. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    +1. money in your pocket that you will need I'm guessing

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for the detailed information! So GK still has reliability issues? I used to have problems with a combo I owned a few years ago.

I'm not looking for a gritty sound (I never push my Ampeg SVT-VR), so this Markbass sounds like it might be up my alley. Yes, the Portabass doesn't fit really well in my gigbag and makes it pretty heavy (14 lbs. added weight!).

I suppose I could buy both the Eden and the Markbass from MF or like company and try both out for 45 days. Then ship the one I don't want back, at 4 lbs. shouldn't cost much to do that. I hate trying out amps at GC because of other people playing, hooked up to different cabs, etc.

I'll have to check the specs, price on that Shuttle model you mentioned. Thanks again!

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    The money shouldn't be that much of an issue, saving a few hundred bucks won't make that much difference in my situation. I just don't think the Portabass will have enough power for some of the gigs I would be using it, plus it's not the best for stuffing in a gigbag.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'll actually back up my buddy JimmyM by saying that if you run your SVT clean, the LMII might really work for you, since it is quite a bit fatter and warmer than the Shuttle (even the 6.0 with the tube in it). It's a fantastic head, and it seems you can get them for $499 if you work the Guitar Center discounts, etc. Amazing amp at twice the price IMO, and only around 6 pounds.

Unfotunately, the GK MB2-500 seems to be having some serious issues at this point, if you check out the mega thread. I would stay away from that one for a bit.