Amp Controversy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Jul 29, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Now, people I know who are huge copy cats and magically started bass a while after I did are very very stupid. They come up to me and say "Hey, I wanna get this 1x15, 100 watt..." bla bla... Right when they say 100 watt... I stop them... Everyone knows that 100 watts is not enough ot drive a 15" correct? Thought so... I tell them go 1x12 100 watt... And of course they go 1x15 100 watt... They are stupid... 15" 100 watts are mushy... And...BAH!!!... Except the Ampeg 1x15 100watt combo... But... Can u go wrong with Ampeg?[​IMG]

that picture is Irrelevant... that is the 1st stop of the pop disaster tour in my beautiful town of bakersfield california... Mike Dirnt is cool...
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fifteens are stupid, period. That said, you need 300 watts minimum to play meaningful bass, whether you use 8-, 10-, 12-, 15-, or 18-inch speakers.
  3. I'm very pleased with my 15" Ampeg. It gives me the growl I want. The lows and highs are great but the mid is much better. Also I'm not good/big enough to get more than 100 watts/my dad bought it awhile ago before I started playing/I can't afford any different/(last "/" I swear) I'm really happy with it.:)
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If these (quotation mark) copycats (quotation mark) want to (quotation mark) underpower quotation) mark their rigs (comma) let them (period)
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You have a pro quality amp, moxnix9.

PeaveyTNT, I'm really digging the generalities:D
  6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    what might u mean by that?
  7. Thanx Brad. That's the first time any one has said something like that. I've heard, "Hey, nice amp", but those people weren't bassists or well informed people. And it's very flattering to hear it from an INCREDIBLE, TALENTED bassist.;)
  8. A guitarist friend and I were talking last night about Peavey TNT bass amps. He started on bass, and he had a TNT 130, just as I did. He had another one at his house for the longest time, which was very convenient for me, since I didn't have to lug my rig over there.

I originally got rid of my Peavey because, well, it was a Peavey. However, as age has mellowed me, I can respect the durability of the Peavey line, if nothing else. Good, solid, utilitarian amp.

Of course, I wouldn't think of pumping less than 200 watts for any of my live situations if I could help it. I use a 15" Bag End now that rocks.

So, to answer your question -- more watts!
  9. I have a 4x10 cab and a 15 on the bottom. Now i run a 100watt head... rack system etc its damn loud, i use it in a death metal band running on about half. Play large venues too.

It sounds fine. Its not about power. This is one of the things i learnt when i did Loudspeaker Design. The more efficient the speaker, the higher the quality, the louder it will be. I have Eminence speakers, same with the 15, and I would definately still by a 100watt head. I used to play through a 50 watt head and that was average, went to 100watts and it gave me enough head room.

10. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Ok, I'll bite, being another South Aussie! Which Eminence drivers? What band? Maybe I can check you out and confirm everything you're saying for the other people. ;)

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Is it just me or does everyone feel like they just walked into the middle of a conversation.
  12. Yeah whatever :rolleyes:

My (equally irrelevant) view:

15s by themselves sound dull and muffled. Add a 2x10, 2x8 or even one 6 incher and let's play bass!

300 watts absolute minimum, 500 is better.
  13. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Where do these people come from?? :confused:

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    he's from bako. that explains everything.
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I knew everything when I was 14, too...:rolleyes:
  16. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    But he's influenced by Jason Hetfield!!

Must be James' cousin or something. . . :)
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

His older brother, I think. He plays a Soundgear through a TNT 150(200 watts with an extension cabinet).
  18. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    My Crate 20 watt practice amp is all I need man. I played Madison Square Garden with it! Honest! That 8" speaker is real efficient.:D :D
  19. Hogwash about 15's Munji -

Sure take any 15 and let it lay there and it'll sound like mush. Put it in a box tuned for it's parameters and you'll hear the difference. Put it in a box designed to emphasize certain characteristics and it'll kill. Different from smaller drivers? Sure but not crap like you make it out.

In 1977-1981 I played all Sunn equipment. 200 watts with a 2x15 RH cab. Big sucker but with nearly 6 feet of folded horn in it I had plenty of volume. As for tone - I never was able to explore it's potential to the fullest. Damn thing was just too loud. Bass was extraordinary but I always liked a crisp top end and it was all there too. Bandmates all liked it because there was never any situation that it didn't fill - we didn't mike bass or DI in those days. I would kill to have it today.

So different strokes etc... But they certainly aren't "stupid"
  20. I have a 15 inch 200 watt eminence speaker, and a 4x10 cab with eminence's. sound nice.

Bands name is Dephiler. We have a gig at The Land Of Promise (172 Port Road Hindmarsh) on the 10th of august, Its out demo launch along with One Step Beyond's Cd Launch.

check out our website

Hope to see you there!