Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp coverings/tolex etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hey everyone

i have a 2nd 2x8 on order, and i plan on cavering it with some real thick tolex,and re-covering my current 2x8 in the same thick tolex aswell. does anyone know where i can get something really nice, like on the mesa powerhouse bass cabs or something??

or any links? i've heard of people using like truck bed liner on their cabs, but i dont know about that..sonds a litle sketchy to me. but whatever works i guess.

i basically looking for something that will be easy to clean, and wont fray, rip fall apart. i'm going to making just real cheap nylon slip covers for these aswell .

so any information would be great.
    thanks!

eric

2. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    i dont know if they still do this but in the old days i purchased stuff like this directly from mesa
    if it is a tolex product it think general tire and rubber
    is the manufacturer of that trademarked product
    and i would call them directly or check their website for distributors and the distributor could refer you to retailer
    and of course there are all the cab builder supply guys too

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Look up Duratex: http://www.acrytech.com/DuraTex.htm - seems to be the best combination of durabilty and ease of application (you can use textured roller). Unlike truck bed liner it weighs less and doesn't give off bad fumes.

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    A buddy of mine put that DuraTex stuff on a homemade set of monitors justa few mnths ago. He put it on super thick with a funky checker-textured roller he got at a crafts store. That stuff is tough as nails and seems a bit less brittle than the truck bed liner coatings I've seen. It also is extrememly cool looking in checker-board, I'll see if I can get him to e-mail me a pic!

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i just e mailed mesa, hopefully i canbuy a couple yards off of them.

i was ooking at their custom coverings site, and there are some really neat colour combo's on it!

6. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    hey let us know what kind of luck u have with them

7. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey Modny, Have you tried "parts Express"? They have Just about everything you need to Repair, Rebuild, or Modify your exsisting cabinets. They ship Next day, and you can order online, or over the phone;1800/338-0531, or go to WWW.Parts-express.com Ask them to send you a free catalog. Good luck with your project! :bassist: