1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp covers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Truktek2, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    So it's raining out and I've got a gig tonight. Normally I just throw my amp and cab in big black garbage bags and call it a day, or otherwise park in front of the venue and rush in my equipment. How do you guys protect your equipment from the elements? Do you guys use amp covers? Road cases? (seems like overkill for a weekend warrior) any other suggestions?

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Big black garbage bags:)

3. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Well recycle bags don't fit and wife says my playing sounds like trash anyway :)

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just walk quickly. Everything but my cabs are in some sort of case or bag.

I suppose I should probably keep some garbage bags in my car for those days that it's really down pouring though.

5. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I cover all of my cabs with cushioned covers. I purchase them from LeCover. They are not expensive and really protect your gear. I protect all of my amps with racks made by various manufactures, but primarily Gator cases. Water is the arch enemy of our gear, so why risk it being damaged when you can protect it for a few bucks.

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Unless I'm plugged in, my Bergs are in the padded slipcovers I ordered with them.

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    LeCover and Tuki Covers are two great choices. I'm a Tuki guy.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My amps and basses are in cases. For my cabs, I'll use large plastic garbage bags. The cabs (GK Neo112's) are small enough to fit.

9. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    That makes sense. I've never bothered getting covers because I've been pretty fortunate so far with gigging weather. Now that I'll probably be playing out more I should probably get them. Any ones I should stay away from?

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I had to make a cover for my Roland CB100, based on a cover made by a drummer friend of mine.

I found a cardboard box that, with a few mods, fit perfectly over the combo. The cut our a rectangular hole over the amp handle. Then, I covered the whole box in duct tape.

Waterproof and serving me for about 4 years. When I get to a gig, I throw my jacket, and other stuff into it.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Innovative!

12. I have had Pete at Undercover make several covers for various cab's. Always spot on perfect!

13. deshi00

deshi00

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus ohio
    Ive got nothing... Basses are in HSC, pedals and cords are in a bag. my amp and cab just deal with it. actully sometimes hope somthing does happen so I have a reason to upgrade

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I had Roqsolid make my covers. They're lined and fit like a glove. Very happy.

TD

15. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1 for Roqsolid.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Amateur, semt-pro or full pro doesn't matter. You need to protect your investment. Would a handy man carry his tools in a garbage bag???

I knew a guy who thought that a garbage bag was good enough. At a load in at the back of a venue he left his cabinet in its garbage bag while he took his amp and guitars in. He came back to find the garbage truck had visited and his cabinet was now inside. He managed to get the cabinet back but he never could get the smell out of it!