Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp crackle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Aug 7, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I get some major crackle out of my combo amp after it has been outside in humidity. God forbid I should ever play an outside gig or join a band that practices in a warehouse or something. The crackle goes away after about 15 minutes of playing indoors. I guess the moisture burns off or something.

Is this an indication that something is wrong with my amp (SWR Workingman's 15)? Does something inside need to be cleaned?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    alot of combos and pre's crackle in the knobs a little. I haven't noticed if it does it more in humid conditions, but thats where I've heard crackle. is it loud crackle, like you think it will hurt the speaker or kind of a background noise?

Greenville,NC? do you get any salt water air in your town? I heard sea air is more corrosive on electronics.

3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    It's lound, but has nothing to do with the knobs. It seems to "burn" off after a little while. Greenville, SC. Nowhere near the ocean. Never happens under normal conditions. Only once when I had it overnight I my humid basement, and once after I had it in my car briefly after a HUGE rain storm. It sounds really bad, but the problems is temporary... for now.

4. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Next time it does this. Turn the main amp volume all the way down. Turn every knob on the amp full travel a couple times ( all the way up, then all the way down then set to adjustment you like). Then turn the pre amp all the way down and do the same with the main amp knob. My Eden has done this every time she sits to long with out me playing her.

Good Luck.