Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp crackling question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris A, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Hi,

I'm having an amp problem. I have a Peavey Tmax (I like it, that's not the problem), and as the note that I'm playing is decaying( dying out) it crackles. Sometimes it's not so loud and other times it's really loud. I've tried swapping out cables and basses, and I've pretty much eliminated those as possibilities. It only happens with this amp, too. I have a Trace Elliot that I use as a backup, but it's only 200 watts, so for bigger gigs it's not enough. I'm thinking that it's a power amp section problem, but I'm not very technically inclined. What do you think?

Chris A.:rolleyes:

2. Gekobrain

Gekobrain

Nov 17, 2000
    I have the same problem, but it occurs when I adjust the knobs on the amp, I think it just might be dust inside it, but I'm not sure.

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    ive had this happen. Open it up, clean it out, without wrecking. If you do a search you should find how people have even pulled corn pops out of there amps, it's crazy the stuff they pull out.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Bump

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I had a similar problem on my old Eden vt.40 head... a low level crackle/distortion no matter what level the amp was set, while the note was decaying... It turned out to be a timing issue between the preamp and the power amp. I really don't know the tech stuff behind it, but when my electronics whiz buddy hooked it up to a scope, the distorion was very apparent in the wave that was produced... There were several trim pots inside, and he made a very minor tweak on one, (maybe a 1/16th turn), and the wave smoothed out. Problem solved... Again, I don't know that tech stuff behind the wizardry, and I'm scared to death to mess with the guts of an amp, but it was a very small tweak that solved a very major problem... Hopefully your issue will be as simple.

-robert