Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp creation help???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smashkick14, Jan 5, 2003.

1. smashkick14

smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    alright... ive dug 2 of my fathers old speakers out of the closet, and im going see if i can hook them up into working order for my bass, the original design is like a 70's Altec 874A Segovia model, there are two of them, im going to replace the cone and such, will anyone share their help in turning these back into working order, especially for bass, and how could i hook up a head for this that i could plug in... any help is appreciated

2. smashkick14

smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    *sigh*

3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hi smashkick14, Welcome to TalkBass! Someone should be along shortly to help you with your question. Hey, you live about 5 miles from me!:)

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Welcome! If you give more info it's easier to help. What exactly is wrong with the speakers? Visible cone tears? Bad sound? No sound? You can hook them up to a stereo to see if they work if you don't have an amp yet.

5. smashkick14

smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    there is a cone tear in both, but i know that nothing else is wrong...

6. smashkick14

smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    but beyond that is where im confused, how you could plug a bass into it *eventually*, im doing some research and i obviously need some help *more than some*

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, eventually you will need a lot more stuff to hear your bass come out of those speakers. An important limiting factor is $ -- What is your budget? Here's a list of stuff you need assuming minimal $.

1. Ask at local music store where they get speakers reconed. Bring the speakers there and pay them at least $40 per speaker.

2. Obtain a cabinet to put these speakers in.

3. Obtain an amplifier. Look at and try some used ones while you are at the store to get an idea about prices. The best deals I've found come out of the local paper's classified section.

4. Obtain cables. Instrument cable from bass tio amp, speaker cable from amp to cab.

5. Plug it all in and play.

Unless you *really* want to hear your bass through the old Altechs, I would suggest avoiding all of these steps and saving your $ until you can buy a used combo. Lots of people recommend the Peavey TKOs and TNTs for beginners. Used they are under $200.

8. smashkick14

smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    ick... im not wasting my money on peavy amps.... lol thanks for the advice, i will save up for a combo! maybe even a 2x10! ahhh lol ugh... school..

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm not a huge fan of pv combo tone either, but it's not a waste of money. They are loud and are probably the cheapest way to get a band volume level. They also don't break, so you should be able to resell and get the $200 back out of it when you're ready to upgrade.

10. Dude, don't bother trying to transform them into a bass amp. You'd be better off to sell them as-is on eBay, and then take the money and put it toward something else. The picture I dug up on eBay when I searched for 874A completed auctions is of a Bi-Flex cone - not what you want for Bass!

Here's a little blurb about them in the 1974 catalog:
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1974-home/page3.jpg

I personally dig Altec Lansing speakers for Bass and Hi-Fi, but for Bass, you want an Altec Lansing 421A model speaker. It rocks.

Chris

11. smashkick14

smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    thanks all of you for all your help in my decision! *jeeze i love the communities where people go out of their way to help!*