Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp dead, need thoughts on good cheap 350 watt amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Nov 21, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok ok. I'm an idiot that REALLY likes his CRATE BT-350. i'm sorry....but now..... it has kicked the bucket. or maybe not. maybe all it needs is a small repair. but lets just say it's dead. I now want a new (and by new, i mean, new to ME) bass head. that has decent tone, 7 band eq, and at least 350watts RMS. i know thats kinda narrow. but what do you guys think about the peavey T-MAX? Ive never heard it, but it looks like a decent head. Any other comments are welcome , like "You moron you liked that stupid crate head" and "Eden, you idiot, eden.". I like midrange, but as always. WE KNEW THAT.

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    How cheap are you looking? 350w into 4 or 8 ohms?

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    and why a 7-band EQ? have you tried a parametric?

4. Im in the same sort of situation as you and looking for the same range of power. My favourite choice has been the Ashdown ABM300 EVO which is by no means the cheapest but sounds damn good ;) Basically just go and try a load out and pick what sounds best to you in the price range. BTW, I haven't heard that paticular peavey head but have had good experiences with peavey (BXBW115 cab and new Fury bass). They are built like tanks and so in 20 years itll probably still be going not like that last one of yours.

Good luck finding your amp :)

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Is this even a question? Hartke 3500. 350w@4ohm, 9-band graphic EQ, inexpensive and easy to find.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    i'm sorry. 350 into 4 ohms (i have two 8 ohm cabs) And i plan on buying a parametric eq. in fact, i asked a question about them not to long ago in effects. As far as price goes, from 0 to 600 bucks. But i want to try to buy used. it doesnt have to be in that price range. anywere up to 800 bucks i can think about.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'll sell you my Ampeg SVT350H. 350 into 4 ohms, I think its a 9 band graphic w/ parametric, and made at the same place as your Crate! ;)

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    In that range, for a head alone, I'd get a Carvin R1000. For my tastes, which of course may be quite different from yours, it's considerably nicer than the GKs or Hartkes. Used you can probably pick up an Eden or SWR in your price range, if those sounds are your thing.

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm sorry, I meant the same parent company. I have no idea where Crate and Ampegs actually come from. But I do know that SLM owns them both.

10. All made in the same building here in St. Louis. My drummer used to work there - heh, the stories..........

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I thought it was mommy and daddy Crate's and Ampegs:eek:

12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I dig my Ampeg B2R.
    200W - 8ohms, 350W - 4ohms
    No bells and whistles, just good, clean usable features.

13. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You could buy a whole lotta' amp for $800 if you go used! Just something to think about.

SM900, WT-800, Mesa 400+, the list goes on...