Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captaind, Apr 16, 2005.

1. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    Back again!

After wearing out the many forum sites and various other internet sites i finally think the conclusion is near.

I've narrowed it down to this:

(1) Ashdown 300 H - 307 watts at 4 ohms
    approx. 225 watts at 8 ohms

(2) Hartke 3500 - 250 watts at 8 ohms

(3) Hartke 5500 - 500 watts at 4 ohms
    approx. 350 watts at 8 ohms

(4) Kustom Groove 1200 - 500 watts at 8 ohms

With this I will be using an Avatar B-212 cab at 8 ohms. I figure I can add another 8 ohm cab later if required and switch to 4 ohms.

Small church setting with high ceilings requiring clean low end with a little punch. Plenty of headroom for low amp volume is what I'm thinking will give me this sound.

Which setup do you think is best? Of course, reliability is important also so please take that into consideration.

After reading everything i could on amps and cabs while doing my reseach, I found TB and Harmony Central to be the most informative. This is a great site!

So what do you think? Do I have it all wrong?

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, you know what my recommendation is gonna be!

Groove Bass 1200 + Avatar B212 @ 4 ohms. Done.

If you want to get another 4 ohm cab later, you'll be @ 1200 watts @ 2 ohms.....serious power for anything you can throw @ it except ultra-large venues (like stadiums)!!!!

As it stands now, with the 1 cab you get 800 watts, still plenty of power for most settings.

3. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    Hi GSPLBASSDC!
    It's good to talk to you again!

The Kustom Groove interests me alot. It's also the most expensive of the amps I listed. I used to own the old tuck and roll so i have a warm spot inside for Kustom. However, due to it's cost (around $600.00 or at least $585.00) and it's power (probably to much for what i need) it probably is a non entity for me. Shame really!!!!!!

I've decided to get (1) 8 ohm cab because of carrying back and forth every Sunday. You know, the old backs not what it used to be! Seriously through, if the Avatar 2-12 cab is as good as i've read then it should handle the sound i'm needing. Do you not think this?

Also, looking at volume levels around 2 or 3, do you think i would be underpowering the 2x12's? This has been a concern to me because i want the sound the speakers are capable of but no muddiness.

I'm going under the assumption that headroom creates clean sound using at least decent equipment. This is what i have found with my Carvin combo. Volume at 3 with guitar at approx. 1/2 gives me that sound.

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Understood.

I've always felt that you should buy the most wattage you can afford in order to provide headroom. Having said that, the Ashdown 300 would be good mated with your 212, but I'd probably go with the 5500.

As far as the cab, is there a reason you don't want to do 4 ohms? Do you plan on getting another cab in the future? If not, then go with a 4 ohms to get maximum power from your amp. The only time this would be a problem is if you decided to run 2 cabs @ once 'cause none of thoses heads can carry a 2 ohm load.

5. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005

It finally sunk in! Takes hand and slaps head!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean buy (1) 4 ohm cab and upgrade later with another 4 ohm cab and go 2 ohm! Man!!!!!!! You might think i'm a drummer! Dense as a rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, what advantage is this except for the added power?

Thanks GSPLBASSDC!