Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp decisions.. and questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Mar 15, 2005.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey all!

I have decided to look at some new amps. I have it narrowed down between an Ampeg SVT II (non pro) and a George Dennis Bassic Tube 200. I found the SVTII for $800. I'm still waiting on a price quote for the GD, but I'm guessing it will probably be around $1200-1300 US.
    I've heard a lot of great things about the SVT II and it would be nice to have a rack head again, but I'm a little nervous about having no gain control. It seems like only having a master volume takes away a lot of the tonal control of the amp since I won't be able to drive the pre-amp more or less depending on my taste. Anyone have experience with these amps? I'm really leaning towards the SVT II, but I'm not sure yet. It has no effects loop, no tuner out, no gain control, etc. I'm used to having all these things so that's my only issue really. Anyway, this turned out as more of a rant so I apologize, but if anyone has any opinions or ideas about the SVT II please let me know!!

Thanks!
    Justin

2. Ive heard alot of good things about the SVT II aswell, torn between getting one of ebay, or getting a new SVT II Pro, the pro has alot of extras, but is apparently unreliable in comparison, im not sure to be honest, i think the Pro would have a bigger variety of sounds and be able to put out what the SVT II non pro can, but i really dont know

Sorry, dont know anything about the GD