Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp differences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gtrkid68, Dec 14, 2003.

1. gtrkid68

gtrkid68

Dec 14, 2003
    how does a bass amp differ from a guitar amp? Can i use my Peavey classic 50/50 tube power amp with my new bass and a DI box preamp?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can use it, no problem.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    that's a great question. i'm looking forward to hearing the responses so i had to post to keep myself updated. :)

i know so very little about amps. i do know however that guitar amps distort a lot more quickly than bass amps, and that the low frequencies can eventually screw the amp up. i had a peavey special 130 that i used to play through (at low volumes) all the time, and i'm pretty sure i screwed it up. you also for some reason never get the same kind of bottom out of a guitar amp.

4. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    BOOM :bassist:

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    here is what i know....the first time i ever played a bass. i plugged it into my friends guitar stack...he has a Marshall head and cab....when he realized what i was doing, he nearly crapped his pants and told me to turn it off immediately.....

based on that experience, i have never plugged my bass into another guitar amp....i do not think they are interchangeable.

-Mike

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Lemmy plays over Marshalls, so it's not that critical. :p

Your guitarist friend was a little panicky, you won't damage a guitar amp if you use it with the usual caution.

I once heard a duo (drummer and bassist), andthe bassist played over a VHT (i think) guitar combo, and it sounded great.