Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Dilema

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acepiloto, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I am having quite a time deciding how to spend my hard earned money on a new amp. I have researched a few medium priced amps and come down to a couple of options. The Carvin RC210 (2x10 combo, 600 watts, bi-amp) or a Carvin 600watt (or mackie M-800 I like the features better, but costs more) power amp with the 4x10 cab.

I like the 2x10 combo for portability and features. But, I want to know about loudness, I have a 1x15 cab with a 100 watt PA head with Bass Pod preamp.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If size and weight are not an issue, get the 4x10 with the R600. If you need portability, get the RC210.

The 4x10 setup will almost certainly be louder than the 2x10. More speakers, more loud, make sense?

3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree, but with either setup you'll get a warm, puchy sound. For less money you'll get more portability, but for more money, more wattage. You decide from here :D.

-FSR

4. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Money is also a decisive issue, the RC210 is $800 and the Carvin 600 watt power amp is $350 and the 4x10 cab is $400, the mackie power amp is $450. I am also looking for used gear.

Here's my portability situation, I have a Mazda MX3 hatchback (for those of you who don't know what that is, it is very very small) I have to pull down the seats to get my 1x15 in.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a RC210 and to tell you the truth it is kind of a pain to get into cars. While it is very easy to carry, it is deeper than most other 2x10 combos so it doesn't fit in the trunks of even medium size cars. The dimensions are listed on the Carvin website so you should measure and see if one will fit in your car.