1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Dilemma - Should I Downsize?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stantonl, Apr 30, 2010.

1. So I have been pondering this for a while now and just can't make a decision so I thought I would throw it out here and get some opinions. My current rig is an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II running into an Ampeg SVT410HLF. First let me say, I love this rig! The 410HLF is the best cabinet I have ever owned, by far and I really dig the Ashdown tone and have been very happy with the head overall. My dilemma is this, I don't play out anymore. I'm not currently in a band as that I don't have the time needed to devote to it due to work and family responsibilities. I do participate in the occasional jam session with friends, but typically my rig is way more than I need and not even worth lugging around, so I end up using someone else's cheap combo amp. I also don't see my current situation changing anytime soon. So, I'm thinking to sell off this rig and get a nice combo, possibly the GK MB210 as that I have owned GK gear in the past and was very happy with it. My main concern is that although my gear is in excellent condition, I fear that I won't get much for it, especially the Ampeg as that I have seen them on CL for as low as $250. So what's a guy to do? Throw in towel and give up the rig I have pretty much always wanted or let said rig sit, unused, with the hope that some time in the future I will use it again.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Since none of us can see the future, I'd hold on to a bass rig that you love, just in case, and buy yourself a small combo amp anyway. It's never a bad idea to own more than one amp, and regret is an ass kicker.

3. Never sell a rig you love unless you decide you are done forever (like loosing fingers, hand, or other reason you can't physically play). You have seperates, get a good NEO210 cab and use your Ashdown! Lighter, easier to cart around , not so over the top? Or a good light 112 cab.

4. Great idea! I know I considered this option a while back but I since totally forgot about it. That sounds like it may be the way to go, thanks for the suggestion.

5. ;) :cool: