Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp dilemmas!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yawnsie, Feb 20, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Just wondering if anyone can be good enough to give me some advice about buying a new amp. Here is my tale of woe...

For about 2 years now, I've been using my Laney 50W combo. It's been the veteran of many a gig, but I'm beginning to get a little bit annoyed with it now. It has a very muddy low end, and the sound is very weak from it. Basically, I'm looking for an amp with a richer, warmer tone.

The problem is, I don't know whether it's worth spending (for me, at least) a lot of money. The Laney is usually set at around 4 or 5 in volume, although the gain is pretty low. For gigs, I usually either use someone else's amp, or go through the PA. I don't really need an amp that's particularly loud, as I'd rather have a quality sound. However, I don't want to have to buy another amp in six months' time because I've bought one that's not powerful enough.

My question is, should I buy a good but relatively inexpensive little combo now, or save my money to buy a bigger rig? I'd really appreciate some advise on this...

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As much as I hate going direct, I'd say save your dough for a fine amp as long as the PA is getting you by. Although Laney's are fine, IMO, 50W is woefully low for any kind of bone tone.

If you get a combo, it is only a half measure that will deplete your funds. Although combos tend to resell well due to their popularity, as opposed to concert sized rigs, the resale value on amps, in general, isn't good, relative to famous name basses. Rightfully or wrongfully, most people assume that a used amp has been beaten like a rented mule, (often they have).

My vote is to save your money for something that will not return you to your current state of dissatisfaction in 6 months and get the money accumulated that will let you realize your potential.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Many years ago I decided I was done with underpowered amplifiers and bought a 400 watt head that I could use with various cabinets as my gigs dictated. I wanted an amp that would handle ANY gig that might come up.

Twelve years later I have yet to find a gig it couldn't handle so I guess I did the right thing.

4. I agree. Last time I was underpowered was back in the early 70's and I swore never again. Save a little longer and get an amp that you can grow into, power wise. You can always turn down but if you don't have the power you will never be able to turn up and that makes for an unhappy bass player. As far as what amp to buy your, on your own. Everyone has an opinion on which amp is the best. Try out as many amps as you can get your hands on and buy the one YOU like.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Really, jb??? We here at TalkBass??? US?!?!? Opinions on something as cut and dry as gear??? When??? ;)

(Nothing like a classic TB flame war on the "What is the best...." threads, is there?)

6. This brings up interesting questions. Everywhere I play always has a PA system so I can mike my rig and get the sound to the masses that way. This has made me question why I keep my Eden WT-300 and 4x10 cab. Wouldn't a small combo, when miked, provide the same result?

I have an Ampeg B50-R that I use as a practice amp that sounds great. I played through it at my church once and it was plenty loud. Of course we are not shaking the foundations will volumn. I may start a new thread on this topic.