Amp Dillema- your advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Hi everyone, This is my first posting. I am currently using 2 Aguilar GS410 8 ohm cabs and a Ashdown ABM-500 RC amp. I want to get more power and i want to go the pre/power amp route. Im going to get the Aguilar DB680 but i don't know whether to go with a Aguilar 758(tube amp) or a QSC PLX3402 (solid state) power amp. I know they are completely different in every way. My questions are these: Does the Aguilar's 400 watt tube amp have enough power to play any gig up to large out door gigs, and also would this be a good choice for me considering that I play everything from Meatl to jazz to lots of Funk Slap(I need something very versatile). For some reason I'm under the impression that tube amps aren't the best for the sound slappers are looking for. OR

Should i go with the QSC which is cheaper and is has much more power or should i spend the money on the Aguilar and will i ever need more power than watt is provides?

Your help is appreciated.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Aguilar power amp sounds unreal, weighs about ten tons and costs as much as a Hyundai sedan.

I'd buy the QSC. If you really need a versatile amp setup the smaller, lighter rack will eventually pay off.
  3. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I would also vote for the QSC.

And if you get to where you are playing venues where you need more power than that, you will be making enough money that it won't be a problem.:D
  4. Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. The Aguilar 758 is so expensive $1000 more for 1/3 of the power, but the reason i was even considering it is becuase all my other components are Aguilar and I am really happy with their products.
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Won't you be carried through the P.A. at the large outdoor gig? I'd go for the QSC as well, but I suspect that the Aguilar would do the job quite well.
  6. You can't beat the sound of an all tube rig. Don't forget 400 tube watts is like 1500 solid state watts.
  7. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    400 tube watts = 1500 ss watts??
    is it real? I thought it would be 400 tube = 800 ss.... well I just bought a 400w all tube amp so I'm pretty curious about that
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    And the myth snowballs...

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Oy. Well yeah, as usual there's some truth to both sides of that equation. From an electronic standpoint, watts is watts. In terms of the average loudness that your ear perceives, 400 tube watts can be every bit as loud as 1500 solid state watts. The difference is in the clean dynamic headroom that a solid state amp can provide. In a solid state amp, if your average power is 300 watts, and you hit a strong note on the low B string, the low frequency transient can easily take you up to 1000 watts. If you go beyond that, you start clipping the power amp. But in a tube amp, all that excess signal goes into the warm fuzzy tube overdrive that we all know and love. The tubes can't provide the clean dynamic headroom, and instead they crunch up a little. So that's why people say that 1500 solid state watts is like 400 tube watts, to get the same average level of loudness you need more power in a solid state amp, because if you don't have it, you'll drive the amp into clipping "early" and it won't be happy (that's generally not a good thing for a solid state amp, to be driven into clipping for extended periods of time). It all depends on the sound you're trying to achieve. If you like that fat warm slightly crunchy sound, the tube amp excels. If you like a more precise clean sound then maybe a big solid state amp will serve you better.
  10. Again, I appreciate all of your comments. Am I being to greedy by saying that sometimes i want the loud clean sound and sometimes i want that fat crunchy tube sound. I'm really looking for something that i can manipulate to get the sounds that I am looking for based on the type of music I am playing at the time. Maybe Im asking too much. I want it all!
  11. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I'm pretty sure the aguilar 758 would have all the volume you will ever need.