1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp disappointment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fetfet, Sep 20, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'm at home this afternoon, when i get a phonecall from my Dad. He says he's bought me an amp from a yard sale. I rush over there and view it. It's a Traynor Bloc 80B. I plug it in, turn it on, roll up the volumes and.... nothing. I try it in both inputs, and thru headphones, and still nothing. I take it back to the yard sale, and leave. It was sad, but it was only $50, and we got it back.

But now I'm wondering if i could have gotten it fixed. i don't know how much it would cost, or what's wrong with it, but it seems like a better deal than the $300 i was going to spend in an SWR LA15.

Suggestions?

2. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Yeah, it's hard to find any techs to work on solid state stuff.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I wouldn't buy something inexpensive that had a problem... most likely, you will burn more money getting it to work than getting a similar working model. Not to mention, you lose time... worse case, you buy it and try and fix it, fail... and dump a bunch of cash for nothing.

If it were some sort of vintage gear it would be different, but still risky.

4. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Alright, thank you for the help.

but still, just $50.

:atoz:

5. lightningDolt

lightningDolt

Feb 9, 2008
    A Blown Fuse? Sad if thats all it was, but $50 in hand is better than who knows how much down the reoad.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have the same amp in combo form. Was it a combo? Too bad it doesnt work. It gets pretty loud for 80 watts. If you brought it in to a tech to get fixed it would cost at least $100 so its not worth it.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, you never know how much something is going to cost to get fixed. It could be simple, like just blown fuse or bad power connection and cost nest to nothing. Or a speaker could be blown and a replacement could cost $100 or more. And that's if you can diagnose the problem yourself. Most things wrong aren't all that simple, unless you're a trained tech so you have to pat one of them for their time plus parts and suddenly that little $50 amp becomes a $350 or more amp at which point it's not worth it. I was just at my local music store today and saw the new 100 watt Traynor combo for $300 Canadian.

I've bought used amps like that before but always made sure it was working before I left with it.

8. They are as simple inside as an amp can get. But.... Here we go. They need a better speaker right off the bat, they can't hang with a drummer no matter what, and they are pretty old by now. Mine has a Hartke transporter speaker in it now, it can get a lot louder without breakup. It sounds great at apartment levels and is a great home practice amp, I love mine for couch sessions at barely audible levels. Hope this helps.