Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Distorting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Unas, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Unas

Unas

Jan 11, 2004
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    About 6 months ago I bought the GK 250, and 410BLX combo. Now when i play, even on the clean channel i get distortion. Its not a growly distortion, its more of a farting sound, but not due to blown speakers. I don't over-emphasize the lows on the eq, but i do run the amp almost as loud as it gets. It distorts at low levels howver. Anybody had this problem, or know how to fix it? It's hard to play metal with a bass tone that sounds like farting...

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I thnk your problem is power. The head you have is only 125watts@8 ohms and the cab is a 400 watt@8 ohm cab.
    you a not even putting 1/3 power thru the cab. Your amp is running out of headroom thus the farting you are experiencing. You may want to consider a more powerful head, first see if you can borrow a head from someone(one with a lot more power) and see how the cab sounds then go from there.
    good luck!

3. even if that cab was 125 watts it would still sound the same with that head, you need more wattage cause 125 watts isnt loud enough.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I third this motion, therfore it passes!

YOu need a more powerful amp head. That distortion you're hearing is called "clipping" and it can damage speakers. The top part of the sine wave gets chopped off (clipped) so there's suddenly more area under the curve. This means that the amp is potentially putting out twice it's rated power and can blow speakers.

You're not in danger of that happening because your speakers have a high enough wattage rating to absorb the extra energy. But this is something to keep in mind for later when you're using a 400w head with your 400w cab.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You can even get a power amp and use your current head as a preamp if you otherwise like the head. Don't push your setup too hard or you will damage your speakers. Under powering causes more damage than over powering.

6. You're saying it distorts even at low volume levels, are you sure you aren't driving the preamp input into clipping? Is there a pregain control on that amp head?

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    If there is a battery in your bass that very well could be the problem causing distortion at low volumes, the high volume distortion is most likely clipping.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I was going to mention the battery also, sometimes the KISS method is simply overlooked but I do agree with the others that you are underpowering your cab, this could and will cause speaker damage.

I'd start with replacing the battery in your bass (providing you have a pre-amp installed) and go from there.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think the problem is the GK backline stuff sucks, and doesn't deserve the GK name on it.

[​IMG]