Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp distortion??? please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bijoux, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Hi guys, I have a Bag End 2X10" DBX-210, I I run it with either a Carvin 1000 watts amp, or my 300 watts Eden Traveler, I am having a problem with the Eden which the minimun impedance is 4ohms and my speaker is 4 ohms, but no matter what I try it seems like I can't get enough volume out of the Eden, lower strings have a distortion sound and I have to hit them very soft. anyway has anybody had the same problem, any thoughts, suggestions? thank you.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I had the same problem out of my Traveler head. Any time I pushed it, it would fart out on me. Turns out there is a simple mod that can make things better. My amp tech put in a push-pull pot on the enhance that, when pulled, bypasses the built-in compressor. I pull it, bypass the comp, and the sound is MUCH better. Even cheaper is to just hard-wire the comp out of the circuit entirely, but I plan on selling mine eventually, and left it as an option for the next owner. The thing with the Eden is that on the WT300, the compression was on all the time. I hate too much compression, but it might be there to protect the amp. There was a conversion available from Eden for a while that basically gutted your 300 and turned into a 400...including the compressor bypass. It was too expensive for me to ship it in and have them do it, so I took the easy and cheap way out. My entire bill was about $45.

3. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    hey that's great advice! , acctually I can pull my enhance knob, I just never noticed that my amp even had a compressor, and I am positively sure that the owners manual for the WT-300 doesn't say anything about it. Thanks for the advice, am gonna check on that.