1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Emulator?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kitschead, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Apologies if this question has already been asked.
    I was wondering if there was any kind of program to download/buy which would allow me to plug an instrument directly into the microphone jack on my computer and have the computer amplify it and play it through the speakers in real time as if it was an amplifier.
    Thanks

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    If you want to go cheap then buy a $39.00 Behringer mixer and run the line out into the line in of your computer. Or you could even get a Digitech BP50 for $59.00 and do the same thing. Just use the proper adapter cables. Of course their are more expensive and better ways to accomplish this. But it's a start.

4. You can get the software for free, as mentioned.

Where you will want to spend the money is the hardware, this will make a huge difference. Get something simple like an MBox. Just anything that uses USB/Firewire and bypasses your computer's soundcard. The built in soundcard is trash and will not work well with trying to play bass through it.

5. Thanks a lot. Big help.