1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Experiences/Recomendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smilinjack, Jul 25, 2007.

1. smilinjack

smilinjack

Apr 29, 2007
    :D Greetings,
    Have an oppertunity to work in a blues band so I need a gigging amp.
    Looked at:
    Fender Bassman 250/115 Bass Combo Amp.
    But have not read many favorable reviews.
    can anyone share their thoughts on this amp or their advice on other brands?

Thanks,
    Jack
    :D

2. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i recnetly got a line 6 LD300 and have to say i've been blown away. Only downside is that it not exactly light at 90lbs :meh:

3. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I had a bassman 400 a couple years ago. It was an okay sounding rig but a bit unwieldy in its EQ architecture and not really "user friendly" IMO.

A used bassman 250 shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg but wouldn't be my first choice depending on the budget.

I think you are thinking in the right direction with a 115 combo though. I use a GK. Great gear but can be a little pricey for some people. GK's lesser expensive "backline" series requires a little caution since they sometimes cut corners on speakers and cabs in that line, bit the amps are essentially the same thing. I love my 1001RB 115.

JKT :bassist:

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    It's really about what sounds good to you and what you can afford to spend.
    Personally, I like the tone of the "new" bassman line (new = '05 to current)
    I use the 150 combo (1x12) and it works well for small gigs and for larger gigs i set it on top of a GB neox212 powered by a crown ce1000. this set up rocks the house with my bass.

Who cares what any body else thinks. Get the most you can based on your budget, trust your ears and go with the tone YOU like.

let us know what you end up with

5. smilinjack

smilinjack

Apr 29, 2007
    :D Thank You,
    Can you give me any input on the:

Behringer ULTRABASS BXL3000 300W 1x15" Bass Combo
    ?
    Or the manufacturer in general?
    Also, what will the major difference in using
    two tens as opposed to
    one 15
    which I have always used in the past?

Jack
    :D

6. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    10"s are more pucnchy. 15's have better low end but you lose deffinition compaired to 10's. 2x10 on top of 1x15 is a good solid set up. i used 10 & 15 combonations for may years successfully but for the last several years I use 12's exclusively. best of both worlds for me. JMHO mind you