1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp failure! Help me save Saturday's gig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keiththebassist, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Here's the deal, aside from my bass duties, I play keyboards and a little bit of guitar (with an ebow) during our set. I normally play my keyboard and guitar through my Peavey KB300. At last rehearsal I went to turn the peavey on and it gives me a loud hum and virtually no volume :crying:

I'm gonna poke around with it before tonight's rehearsal but aside from something really obvious, I'm not likely to find much (I'm not real savvy with amp guts).

Here's the options I'm considering:

Playing Bass through my Hartke HA200 in the active input (which I normally do) and plug the keyboard into the passive input and plugging my guitar into a little peavy minx 10" combo (not ideal for guitar obviously but it's really the only other amp I've got right now.

Or playing the keys through the peavey combo and guitar through the Hartke passive input.

What's everyones take on which one is the best option.

Also, I'm all ears on any obvious things to look for in diagnosing my KB300.

Thanks in advance and HELP:help::help::help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd probably do the first option. Best thing is to try it out in all permutations and see which one works best for you.

3. I'd be a little worried your keys output would be driving into the bass electronics and pop the keys.

Keys through guitar amp is likely distasterous for the guitar amp.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Utilize Guitar Center's return policy and guard the amp like a hawk on the gig so it doesn't get damaged?

5. Sorry if I wasn't clear, the peavey combo 10" is a bass amp.

6. odineye

odineye

Dec 29, 2011
    Bear DE
    Another vote for the first option. Your HA200 is a lot more capable of handling a keyboard than the Minx, which should handle the guitar just fine.

Luckily you have tonight's rehearsal to try it out.

7. I'm thinking you and Jimmy are right. I'll lug my combo amp to rehearsal and rig it up tonight to see how it all sounds.

So far this year I'm freaking plagued with amp problems!

8. It's unfortunate because my KB300 sounds killer with keys and guitar. Ugh, I really dont have spare bux laying around right now for a trip to the amp doctor (again).

9. So I ran my my keyboards through the Hartke rig. Sounded a little lacking in lows (because I run a good amount of low-mids/mids for my bass tone), but it will get me through the gig. The peavey minx does a satisfactory job of amplifying the ebow guitar. Kinda bummed at all the gear issues I've been having lately. It's frustrating to not to KNOW your gear is reliable. Thanks again for all the support my TB brethren!

10. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    i second jasonbraatz's suggestion. go buy some crazy awesome amp from guitar center and return it the next day for a full cash refund no questions asked. I do that all the time! took a moogerfooger clusterflux to a recording session a few times. aswell as "renting" a moog voyager for free. gigged an ampeg 8X10 that way too, i took it on a two week mini tour and was super careful with it (duct tape on the casters always had it covered unless i was playing etc.) brought it back as soon as I got home for a full refund no questions asked. Ive done it countless times with almost every boutique pedal they have at the manhattan guitar center and they don't even really seem to mind much.

11. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    just realized that i got in on this a little late... wah wah wah....

12. You defiantly have a dark cloud over you right now :(

13. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    I figure no harm no foul. it is usually things that I would like to buy, but want to try out in practical applications first. everything goes back exactly as it was given to me no nicks or broken anything. there are a few pedals that i have actually ended up keeping, and it is how i ended up with my current cab. but regardless I think guitar center is doing just fine so it doesn't bother me much at all.

14. I was responding to the OP ;). He has a dead Hartke HA3500 right now as well! :cool:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, he definitely is defiant.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Even though it is GC, that's pretty lame. You're probably also one of those guys who bitches and moans when something you actually buy at GC shows signs of prior use.

17. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    hahaha well i guess that just proves that I have some remorse :bag:

well perhaps your right. but I am not one of those guys who does not give a good look at something I buy before I walk out of the store.

18. +1

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I'm not down with the lending library approach either, although I've had GC employees encourage it from time to time. No skin off their nose. But still, the cost of them doing that gets eaten up in the form of higher costs, and really, they're not doing all that well as a company. I could maybe see it if you find something on the floor used, but it does cost them money when you return new stuff you had no intentions of keeping. Some people can do it but I'm not one of them.

20. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Dec 28, 2012
    Sounds like a blown smoothing capacitor in the Peavey. Happens regularly to my Ashdown MAG 600.