Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Farting Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, Jun 15, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Is it the amp or the cabinet that causes the low end to fart? I found an SVT and the guy says it farts on the lower notes, but he is using it through a crappy old speaker. Here's the quote from the ad:

"Anyway, it's in perfect cosmetic shape, no rips/tears, the low END farts just a little at really high volume, so you may want to take it to Deltronics (or your preferred tech) just to give it a run thru, but haven't used it in about a year so maybe it was my old cabinet."

What do you guys think? He's describing an Ampeg SVT CL.
    Thanks

2. Its probably the speaker, but it could easily be a pre tube (maybe a power tube, but i think its more likely a pre . . . )

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gee, when will joe beets show up????

anyhow, usually that's a speaker issue, either being overdriven or pushed beyond xmax. Other times (as joe is sure to point out) it's power amp clipping when you're pushing the amp beyond where it can reproduce the signal w/o distorting. However, that usually happens with SS poweramps. Tube poweramps actually sound kind of cool when they start to distort.

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I agree that is it most likely his cab.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Tell him that if it's farting, then he clearly needs to knock the price down more. The issue is most probably the cab, but if the seller doesn't know that..........

6. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Thanks a lot everyone. I figured it was the cab and the guy knocked $100 bucks off. I'll try to see it tomorrow and get the price down a little lower. Thanks for all your insight.