1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp fault

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paracidium, Oct 2, 2008.

1. paracidium

paracidium

Oct 2, 2008
    Hello all

I recently bought an Ashdown Mag600 evoII bass head from ebay. It was sold as working but after completing the 320 mile journey to pick it up I soon realised there was a problem. :meh:

The amp has plenty of power but it distorts at all volumes, It is impossible to get a clean tone from it. I have ruled out all other equipment including my bass leads and cabs. I was wandering if there is anyone here with any technical knowlege who could shed some light on this?

I have checked all fuses and inspected the circuit boards for any dry joints to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Matt

2. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Does the seller have a return policy? That's the first thing I'd be looking at if I were you.

3. paracidium

paracidium

Oct 2, 2008
    I can return it but it will cost me about £40 to drive it back again. I figured that I could repair it.

I have ruled out the pre amp circuit and am wandering whether it is worth replacing the transistors and the two main capacitors or which would be best to replace first?

Is anyone out there who has experience with repairing power amps? as I said before the amp appears to still have it's full power but the sound that it outputs is distorted reardless of what settings I try.

cheers,

Matt